Demo restrictions / perfomance problems on macOS

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

stefanm

Demo restrictions / perfomance problems on macOS

Post by stefanm » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:23 am

Hi there,

I just had a test drive with the demo version. The functionality of the program is very impressive. I am surprised that it is practically unknown, I almost stumbled across this site by accident. I would have bought it instantly, but I have severe perfomance problems on my machine. The software is hardly usable although I think my machine should be capable enough for running it (2019 IMac 27", I9, 64GB Ram, 5800X 8GB, SSD, macOS 10.14 Mojave).
Do you perhaps have an idea why the software is so slow on my machine or even better ideas how to improve it?

A wish regarding the demo version: It would be very helpful to have some limited export functionality. It would be important for me to see what map features are kept in a svg export and which features are lost. Perhaps you could provide some sample data (original map data, picture export, svg export)?

Thanks for listening!
Best regards,
Stefan

Balmung

Re: Demo restrictions / perfomance problems on macOS

Post by Balmung » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:38 am

If you're using the build-in assets: those are pixel graphics.
But there is hope: https://otherworldmapper.com/forum/view ... f=19&t=527

stefanm

Post by stefanm » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:41 am

Thanks, this sounds great.

Not sure, how well it would work with the included assets, but in the past I have used a tool called Vector Magic (I am not affiliated!) to vectorize images with excellent results. Perhaps something like this could help in vectorizing the pixel images and speed things up...

Wish, I knew why the tool is so slow on my machine, a real pity, it sounds fantastic :(

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:33 am

stefanm wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:23 am
Hi there,

I just had a test drive with the demo version. The functionality of the program is very impressive. I am surprised that it is practically unknown, I almost stumbled across this site by accident. I would have bought it instantly, but I have severe perfomance problems on my machine. The software is hardly usable although I think my machine should be capable enough for running it (2019 IMac 27", I9, 64GB Ram, 5800X 8GB, SSD, macOS 10.14 Mojave).
Do you perhaps have an idea why the software is so slow on my machine or even better ideas how to improve it?

A wish regarding the demo version: It would be very helpful to have some limited export functionality. It would be important for me to see what map features are kept in a svg export and which features are lost. Perhaps you could provide some sample data (original map data, picture export, svg export)?

Thanks for listening!
Best regards,
Stefan
Thank you for trying the demo!

On the first part of your question, is the resolution 5120×2880 like I see from the Apple docs? If so, could you try running the program with a smaller window that isn't the full screen size and see if that gives better performance? We're making some performance improvements on OSX that may cover that.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

stefanm

Post by stefanm » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:36 pm

Hi Alejandro,

thanks for getting back at me. Yes, the specs are right, it is a 5k display. And indeed, scaling down the window size improves performance. Sigh, I really could have thought of this myself :roll: If I scale the window down to 2/3 of the max size, owm starts getting to become "usable".

Will give it another serious try tomorrow and check if this quick impression persists!

Best,
Stefan

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:41 pm

stefanm wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:36 pm
Hi Alejandro,

thanks for getting back at me. Yes, the specs are right, it is a 5k display. And indeed, scaling down the window size improves performance. Sigh, I really could have thought of this myself :roll: If I scale the window down to 2/3 of the max size, owm starts getting to become "usable".

Will give it another serious try tomorrow and check if this quick impression persists!

Best,
Stefan
We didn't think about it at first either :). It's a known issue but we are working to fix it with our upcoming release. But as you found out if you work with a smaller window it doesn't have any issues.

And thank you for the suggestion on the export. We'll try to make it so that you can export a small map so you can evaluation the export part of the program with the Demo.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

stefanm

Post by stefanm » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:32 am

Thanks a lot! Looking forward to the macos improvements. Purchased a copy of owm and will see where it takes me :)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:07 pm

stefanm wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:32 am
Thanks a lot! Looking forward to the macos improvements. Purchased a copy of owm and will see where it takes me :)
Awesome! Thank you for the support! :)

Let us know if you have any feedback or questions as you use OWM.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:22 pm

Turns out the performance issues starting with Mojave are due to a OSX bug they aren't fixing.... so we are currently implementing a work around.

V1.0.5 is otherwise ready, but this is an important change so we are prioritizing it.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software