Future and potential for Other World Mapper

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

Lionheart

Re: Future and potential for Other World Mapper

Post by Lionheart » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:23 pm

I know about the YouTube channel of course. :lol:
But it could be expanded not just with more tutorials but perhaps also a wider net with general map (not tool related) tips, tricks, thoughts, history and even expand into world-building and RPG mapping discussions and have guests on etc.

Have a great night!

P.S. I really enjoyed Katie's approach on the channel.

SilverSurfer1221

Post by SilverSurfer1221 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:22 pm

Personally, I would not recommend a name change. Rebranding, unfortunately, often indicates there's a problem with the company (to some). Personally, I find nothing wrong with the name. It's descriptive of the product while not being bland (imo). But I do agree they need a logo (that includes the name).

Lionheart

Post by Lionheart » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:40 pm

Personally I don't think so. Not if handled correctly. And it is done by many companies all the time. If done together with the splash of a new Kickstarter and the right communication around it, that would be perfect timing. I think the loss in recognition and SEO is minimal to be honest, in this case. But at the end of the day a new logo and fresh new better looking images associated with the brand would be a great improvement...
In the long term a name change might really help sell the tool.
Which of these catch your eyes:
Wonderdraft
Inkarnate
Project Deios
Other World Mapper
Terraformia
World Anvil (not a mapping tool, but still)
?

Also OWM is so much harder to do a great logo for than something shorter and more on point, like my suggestion for a new name earlier.

@OWM - after discussing this a couple of days, or until its natural conclusion, I am good with you guys deleting the thread later on if you prefer to not air this in perpetuity. I do hope you will keep a copy of the conversation and use it as inspiration.

SilverSurfer1221

Post by SilverSurfer1221 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:50 pm

Different strokes for different folks. I, personally, like the name, "Other World Mapper". Personally, I don't like the other ones, except World Anvil (for a name). Wonderdraft? What's that? It's okay after you know what it is ... but ... meh (my opinion, again). Inkarnate ... fine ... but if I didn't know it was a mapping program, the name wouldn't clue me in, either. Same with Project Deios. Terraformia ... okay ... it does at least speak to terrain and, thus, mapping, etc. But it sounds kind of hokey to me. That doesn't mean these names aren't good. It just means that names, like food, religion, and politics, will strike different people differently.

To me, when I see the name, "Other World Mapper", it speaks of something that is used to map other worldly things ... fantasy worlds, sci-fi worlds, things not of this world. It's a good, descriptive name and rolls off the tongue well.

As far as a logo for "Other World Mapper" or OWM ... I can think of quite a few ways to work that, to be frank. It's not really tricky. No more tricky than something like Project Deios, which is basically just it's name with the "O" replaced with a partial planet shape.

Lionheart

Post by Lionheart » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:00 pm

Yeah, I really don't agree, but all opinions are welcome. Re-branding is not easy, so OWM will probably stay with their name regardless. But I thought I should point it out because I really see the name as detrimental to the marketing case.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:34 am

Lionheart wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:23 pm
P.S. I really enjoyed Katie's approach on the channel.
Really happy to hear! That will encourage her to do more :)
SilverSurfer1221 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:50 pm
Different strokes for different folks. I, personally, like the name, "Other World Mapper".
I'm biased, but I tend to agree. However, logo, better website, etc. are all things that would help in marketing without a name change - which I don't see as needed.
Lionheart wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:23 pm
@OWM - after discussing this a couple of days, or until its natural conclusion, I am good with you guys deleting the thread later on if you prefer to not air this in perpetuity. I do hope you will keep a copy of the conversation and use it as inspiration.
It's up to you guys, I don't mind being transparent about this :)
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Lionheart

Post by Lionheart » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:11 pm

You need to do whatever works for you! And I glad some of my suggestions resonate. I am rooting for you guys and hope to see exciting new stuff in the near future! I really hope you will think further on the list of low-hanging fruit I provided when you have time. Have a continued great weekend!

Actually I am quite happy you can't use my suggested name, as I needed an umbrella name for my publishing efforts (RPG and novels), so I think I just found one I love :D
Just spent a few hours working on a first version of a new logo and put an image on the new website :geek:

Balmung

Post by Balmung » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:56 am

I'm looking into fantasy map making software since 2019 and just last weekend I stumbled upon OWM. I guess it was a post on reddit (I searched for the source, but couldn't find it). From my point of view, the name and the logo are not an issue - it's the visibility, because I really searched for the right tool for my needs and OWM was never shown to me until now.

I tried/looked into some other tools, but here is why I don't use them:

Wonderdraft: Max. map size is DIN A2 and has no vector support.

Inkarnate: Web-based.

Campaign Cartographer: Antiquated.

DEIOS: Not released yet and a commercial license costs 150€ per year; which is insane.

I'm here because OWM supports vector assets, is able to create a DIN A0 sized map and has a good licence model. But I'm also here, because my contact at twitter was kind and helpful, which I really appreciate.
System information:
  • Windows 10 Professional x64
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce 3070 FE

Lionheart

Post by Lionheart » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:21 am

Balmung wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:56 am
I'm looking into fantasy map making software since 2019 and just last weekend I stumbled upon OWM. I guess it was a post on reddit (I searched for the source, but couldn't find it). From my point of view, the name and the logo are not an issue - it's the visibility, because I really searched for the right tool for my needs and OWM was never shown to me until now.

I tried/looked into some other tools, but here is why I don't use them:

Wonderdraft: Max. map size is DIN A2 and has no vector support.

Inkarnate: Web-based.

Campaign Cartographer: Antiquated.

DEIOS: Not released yet and a commercial license costs 150€ per year; which is insane.

I'm here because OWM supports vector assets, is able to create a DIN A0 sized map and has a good licence model. But I'm also here, because my contact at twitter was kind and helpful, which I really appreciate.
I wouldn't get too hung up on the name change idea. Easy to remember and catchy names work well for most companies and there is a reason so many companies have one.

I worked 10+ years as a senior digital analyst and it really is quite simple; branding, images and so on affects sales funnels. Getting those right does not mean all is well and good, but it is a step in the right direction. The current logo is terrible but that can be easily fixed without a name change. Just hire an artist. I know because I have hired multiple for my own projects.

No the main thing right now is visibility. And think for companies such as these a Kickstarter is the best way to get attention. But doing it half-heartedly would be a missed opportunity. It should be dressed up in new swanky images, new branding, a great video and some good stretch goals.
And since development resources are limited and this is not a main project for the devs, I think focusing on assets and a few new cool core features would be a great way to get attention. Some of the other tools have tons of cool assets. I think if the right artist could be found for this project, it would help propel OWM much higher.
Once the Kickstarter is getting close to ready OWM should reach out to all the mapping bloggers etc. And follow up with a marketing campaign online.

Oh and running a Discord and keeping your super fans close (and entertained with contests) would be a good start as well on a path to more recognition. You need those people to share their work and the word of mouth.

Oh and I agree with you about the other tools. I did the same analysis when I came to OWM. I just think a lot of potential users won't even know why vector graphics is important as a map maker. Just one of many things that could be explored as a topic on YouTube.
OWM hasn't been good enough to show of its virtues and garner attention.

It is great to hear more YouTube stuff is planned. I really think the net should be cast wider and more topics be included. Including interviews with some of the many Twitch and YouTube map folks.

I cross my fingers and hope that OWM will get more love and attention from the devs.

FoaS

Post by FoaS » Thu May 20, 2021 7:58 am

I would not presume to tell you how to run your business - you folks at 3MS have more experience running 3MS than I do.

However, I would like to add a "+1" to having an official discord. I do not know if there is sufficient bandwidth to manage it, but I've seen it work wonders for companies in terms of communication and accessibility, and for hype and collaboration between users. It's also a good way for people to help each other in real-time - built in support.