Installing To Linux

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

Bouzouki

Installing To Linux

Post by Bouzouki » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:09 pm

Heyas, and thanks for reading what I am going to predict is a question I should have figured out. New to Linux and I don't know what to do with the .tar file once I have extracted its contents.

I assume I need to do something with the OWM shared library file? The lack of instructions makes me think that everyone knows how... except me. 8P

nDervish

Re: Installing To Linux

Post by nDervish » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:52 am

Nope, you don't need to do anything special. Just execute the file 'OWM' in the OtherWorldMapper directory created when you extracted the tarball.

(It's been almost a year since the last release, so I may be misremembering, but I'm 95% certain that "untar and execute" is all I had to do to get it to work on Debian 10.)

You may get some errors about missing libraries or old library versions, which you'll need to handle via your linux distribution. I was never able to get OWM working with Debian 9 because some of the graphics libraries were too old in that Debian version, but I've had no problems with it in Debian 10, which is old enough (and Debian updates slowly enough) that I would expect the current release of any other distribution to also have everything you need.

Bouzouki

Post by Bouzouki » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:19 pm

You are right. I was making it harder than it was. Which is how I like to roll.

From terminal I just got into the OWM directory and executed ./OWM and there it is.

Thank you so much

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:28 pm

Thank both for the question and the reply :)

We'll add better instructions with the upcoming release.... which will be soon now for real :D .

Working through two stubborn Linux issues right now and we'll be finished.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software