Is Other World Mapper dead?

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

Magasul

Is Other World Mapper dead?

Post by Magasul » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:28 pm

Nothing new, no news on anything, last update last May, forums dead... anyone knows anything?

ORtrail

Re: Is Other World Mapper dead?

Post by ORtrail » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:53 pm

The forum is quiet, but there have been the new art pack addons, and it seems there are software updates being developed. No idea when another update might drop, but software development schedules are mostly best guesses.

Is there something in particular you are waiting to see releases? For myself, it's all about the art packs.

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:42 pm

We are still alive! Sorry for the radio silence. Last year was very rough, but the next release is almost done. We just need to finish up the linux version and it’ll be ready to be released.

-Katie

ORtrail

Post by ORtrail » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:05 pm

As a launch day buyer of the videogame, No Man's Sky, I know what time and continued effort can achieve when it comes to software. Updates take time, but the value of OWM will increase with each update and features are added. Glad to hear the next release is in the near future.

ORtrail

Post by ORtrail » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:27 am

And now we have the release of version 1.0.3 with handful of new features. I guess OWM was only 'mostly dead'. :shock:

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:47 pm

ORtrail wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:27 am
And now we have the release of version 1.0.3 with handful of new features. I guess OWM was only 'mostly dead'. :shock:
:lol:

Going to aim to make a new release in early May to make up for it with some of the recent feedback and more tools. Hopefully we won't encounter delays this time around!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Balmung

Post by Balmung » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:39 am

Based on your blog post dates, you release one update per year. Totally fine for a stable version of a desktop application. I personally love more updates, rather then big updates.

This has two benefits:
  1. New and current users see more activity.
  2. Users whose issues got fixed, can continue working earlier.

Besides that, I recommend to clean up the "Bug Reports and Known Issues"-Section and keep it clean :)

After working with the demo I realized, that a lot of threads there are obsolete. Users who just see what's not working and don't verify it with the current version of OWM, could go away for the wrong reason. Same for the "Small Feature Requests"-Section: There are nearly 100 threads.

If you're the type of person who can't delete stuff and love to archive (like my boss ^^) create subsections for everything that's solved.

Please consider this as constructive feedback only! :)
System information:
  • Windows 10 Professional x64
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce 3070 FE