Edit Shape Tool question (and partitions)

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

Lionheart

Edit Shape Tool question (and partitions)

Post by Lionheart » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:54 pm

Hi

I have this question; when I try to use the EDIT SHAPE TOOL part of my island shape doesn't have control points. This part I earlier used the partition tool on to have it cut out. Basically made the more roundish island into a V-shape.
I tried to use ADD POINT to get more control points on this black line but they don't seem to stick on the old partitioned line.

Is there a way to cure the line and make it more controllable?

Edit: I just tested and it actually also happens not just with partitions, but also with unification of two items, for example if I add two island shapes and merge them to one large island, then one of the islands have very few control points and new ones can't be added.

sincerely
L.

Here is the map with the partition, that removed the top part to create a V-shape - notice how the slice that was taken out resulted in few control points:

Here is the map of two islands merged - notice how the left one has few control points:

Lionheart

Re: Edit Shape Tool question (and partitions)

Post by Lionheart » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:24 pm

I was playing with it more today. I realized that if I zoomed in A LOT there ARE control points. But there are an extreme amount of them. That's why the line is all black. :shock:

I wonder if it is possible to naturalize this after merging features or cutting in them, so there aren't that many control points? It is difficult to work with.

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:29 pm

Hi,

What you’re seeing is every point making up the shape. :lol: You can reduce the number of overall points of your shape by going to Tools->Reduce Points… For that number of points, you’ll probably want a pixel range of about 3 or 4.

If you want to see only the points you clicked on to make the shape, you need this button on the Edit Shape toolbar:
Edit Shape Toolbar.png
Edit Shape Toolbar.png (2.59 KiB) Viewed 3578 times
-Katie

Lionheart

Post by Lionheart » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:36 pm

Awesome thanks. Every point for the shape is A LOT of control points :shock: :lol:

Have a great day!