I don't understand zooming

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

mr abomination

I don't understand zooming

Post by mr abomination » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:23 am

Whenever I try and use my mouse to zoom, unless I'm near the very center of my screen the map jumps all over and I have to reorient myself. If my mouse is far enough to the side it even zooms to parts of the map not currently visible.

I would really like if there was a way to have zoom center on the mouse pointer and not some approximation like it seems to do right now. Photoshop does a good job of zooming centered on the mouse cursor and I find it far easier to navigate.

I can provide video example to show what I mean if needed.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: I don't understand zooming

Post by Kanchou » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:11 pm

mr abomination wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:23 am
Whenever I try and use my mouse to zoom, unless I'm near the very center of my screen the map jumps all over and I have to reorient myself. If my mouse is far enough to the side it even zooms to parts of the map not currently visible.

I would really like if there was a way to have zoom center on the mouse pointer and not some approximation like it seems to do right now. Photoshop does a good job of zooming centered on the mouse cursor and I find it far easier to navigate.

I can provide video example to show what I mean if needed.
What platform are you on? Windows, Mac or Linux?

The current behavior re-centers the the map on the point you zoomed into, isn't that how Photoshop does it? (at least CS3). I think your request would be for the zoom to basically not re center and keep the "map point" you click on still under the mouse cursor?

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

mr abomination

Post by mr abomination » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:24 pm

Kanchou wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:11 pm
The current behavior re-centers the the map on the point you zoomed into, isn't that how Photoshop does it? (at least CS3). I think your request would be for the zoom to basically not re center and keep the "map point" you click on still under the mouse cursor?
Yes! That is exactly what I'm trying to say. I find it especially tricky because I find it difficult to only scroll one time with a mouse wheel, but having it recenter the map on the scroll point at least makes sense to me now.

I'm not familiar with older photoshop versions, but I know that photoshop cc 2015 zooms around the mouse cursor like you said. Whatever is under the cursor stays constant while everything else zooms.

I am on windows.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:50 pm

mr abomination wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:24 pm
Kanchou wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:11 pm
Yes! That is exactly what I'm trying to say. I find it especially tricky because I find it difficult to only scroll one time with a mouse wheel, but having it recenter the map on the scroll point at least makes sense to me now.

I'm not familiar with older photoshop versions, but I know that photoshop cc 2015 zooms around the mouse cursor like you said. Whatever is under the cursor stays constant while everything else zooms.

I am on windows.
That makes sense, thank you!

We are pretty late into regression testing for the next version, but I'll see what we can do for it. If not, we'll have it as a feature request for the one after.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

mr abomination

Post by mr abomination » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:49 am

Hello again, it's been quite a while. Been checking out the latest 1.0.4 version, and I'm really enjoying the new stair sweep option.

I just wanted to check in to see if the "zoom towards map point" idea that was discussed last year was still on the table for future development. I know you guys said that you're hoping to do more frequent releases and I thought I'd throw this in the ring again.

Cheers!

Balmung

Post by Balmung » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:02 pm

mr abomination wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:49 am
I know you guys said that you're hoping to do more frequent releases and I thought I'd throw this in the ring again.
Then this thread is for you: https://otherworldmapper.com/forum/view ... 2867#p2864 ;)