Difference between different tension inputs?

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

Phantom77

Difference between different tension inputs?

Post by Phantom77 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:10 pm

I am playing around with the Fractal tool for drawing overland continents, and in playing around with the Fractal tool and entering in different inputs/numbers for tension, I am not able to tell the difference between, say a continent drawn with 50 tension, compared to 100 tension.

Maybe my eyesight is not discerning enough, or maybe it depends on the zoom level to be able to see the difference?

What differences should I be noticing between different inputs/numbers for Tension, when drawing the the Fractal tool?
Andrew

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Difference between different tension inputs?

Post by Kanchou » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:16 pm

Phantom77 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:10 pm
I am playing around with the Fractal tool for drawing overland continents, and in playing around with the Fractal tool and entering in different inputs/numbers for tension, I am not able to tell the difference between, say a continent drawn with 50 tension, compared to 100 tension.

Maybe my eyesight is not discerning enough, or maybe it depends on the zoom level to be able to see the difference?

What differences should I be noticing between different inputs/numbers for Tension, when drawing the the Fractal tool?
The tension is the "curvature" of the segment that connects to fractal points (with 0 being line segments and 100 max curvature). This is more noticeable when you set the fractal factor to a low number.

That's a fine tweaking parameter which early on we decided to allow access via the UI, but it really could just be hard coded :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Phantom77

Re: Difference between different tension inputs?

Post by Phantom77 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:55 pm

Kanchou wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:16 pm
Phantom77 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:10 pm

The tension is the "curvature" of the segment that connects to fractal points (with 0 being line segments and 100 max curvature). This is more noticeable when you set the fractal factor to a low number.

That's a fine tweaking parameter which early on we decided to allow access via the UI, but it really could just be hard coded :)

- Alejandro
Ah ha. Okay, thank you. :)
Andrew