OWM can’t come soon enough

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

stefanstr

OWM can’t come soon enough

Post by stefanstr » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:03 am

I have been working on a map for a fantasy setting recently, and having the worst time. As a Mac user who isn’t a proficient graphic designer, I am struggling every time I need to create a map.

I can’t wait to get my hands on OWM. And since this forum has been all but dead the last two weeks, I thought I might as well post about it.

unklStewy

Re: OWM can’t come soon enough

Post by unklStewy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:55 am

Stefanstr,

I feel you on the whole not a graphic artist thing.. This is one of the reasons I am looking forward to OWM. That being said I don't think any piece of software can 'make' you like the things you create with it. All the tools in the world won't be able to satisfy a perfectionist. When you get your hands on OWM the best thing to do is to practice and share your creations with the community. Art is subjective, I consider myself to a hideous painter but somehow my art teacher thought I was of the best students in the class. He said my feel for impressionist expression was top notch. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I was trying to for a photo realistic still-life. That and I wanted the A to get my humanities requirements out of the way.

We aren't replicating real worlds even though some things should be technically correct. These maps are products of imagination, as such they are intrinsically artistic. They are subject to appreciation by others even if as the creators we aren't satisfied with the final outcome.

Casey :ugeek:
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:15 am

Well... my arts teacher did agree with me that I had no talent so...

And I am not looking for perfection. I am looking for a few simple things. The automatic fractal noise added to shores (I can’t create nice looking shores for the life of me). The ability to take a slice of a macro-scale map and use it as a base for a micro-scale map. Stuff like that.

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:50 am

stefanstr wrote:Well... my arts teacher did agree with me that I had no talent so...
Bah ... Art teachers are wrong more often than not.. Everyone has talent, it may not be in the arts but they have it.

But, I digress. I agree with you on the simplification of tools, it will make things like shorelines and political boundaries easier to work with.

unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

nola

Post by nola » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:38 am

I am also currently developing a campaign. It'd be awesome if I could make the maps with OWM already :-)

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:52 am

nola wrote:I am also currently developing a campaign. It'd be awesome if I could make the maps with OWM already :-)
Assuming the team is still on schedule the Alpha should be coming up pretty soon. I am very excited to see what we can be done with it.

Casey Annis
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:54 am

unklStewy wrote: Assuming the team is still on schedule the Alpha should be coming up pretty soon.
We are! :D
Which is good news for alpha, but very good news for the other releases.
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:21 am

Alpha doesn’t help much: I am a Mac user so I didn’t back at the Alpha level, since it will be Windows-only, I was made to understand.

But I am glad you guys are on track.

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:05 am

Kanchou,

Thanks for the quick update!..

I won't be one of those guys and point obstinately at the BootCamp logo while screaming the words " Or Parrallels " over and over.. but you know .. :lol:

-jk- ... We will get there Stefanstr.. and it will be SWEEEET!

unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:25 pm

unklStewy wrote:Kanchou,

Thanks for the quick update!..

I won't be one of those guys and point obstinately at the BootCamp logo while screaming the words " Or Parrallels " over and over.. but you know .. :lol:

-jk- ... We will get there Stefanstr.. and it will be SWEEEET!

I don’t mind VMs but I don’t think testing an Alpha software in a VM would be a pleasant experience...