What are your plans for Other World Mapper?

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: What are your plans for Other World Mapper?

Post by Kanchou » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:57 pm

Thank you everyone for the feedback so far!! It's really helpful having a better idea of your plans for Other World Mapper.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:55 am

I would like to add that I really hope for ease of use with OWM. I am unlikely to dig deeper into the options unless I really have to. There is hoping that the UI will make creating simple maps very easy.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:20 pm

stefanstr wrote:I would like to add that I really hope for ease of use with OWM. I am unlikely to dig deeper into the options unless I really have to. There is hoping that the UI will make creating simple maps very easy.
Every time we have an internal UI design review that's been a central topic. That's our objective. We will have complex options for those who want to dig deeper, but the idea is to keep the UI simple and not overwhelm everyone with options they may never use.
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:38 am

Alejandro, that sounds terrific. Exactly what I was hoping for.

Josh Wester

Post by Josh Wester » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:45 pm

I will be mostly using OWM for my GURPS : Space campaign in that I will use it for City, Planet, System, Galaxy, and Sector mapping. I would also like to use it for ship deck plans where drawing out the ship would be too gratuitous.

Cannot wait!

Big Mac

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:43 am

Josh Wester wrote:I will be mostly using OWM for my GURPS : Space campaign in that I will use it for City, Planet, System, Galaxy, and Sector mapping. I would also like to use it for ship deck plans where drawing out the ship would be too gratuitous.

Cannot wait!
That sounds fun. I'll probably be doing the same thing for Spelljammer ship deck plans, if I can.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums

Mighty Goblin

Post by Mighty Goblin » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:19 pm

I plan to use it in my present campaign and game play. Perhaps in the future I may look at using it for commercial or public publishing. Small time stuff, just for fun. It's gaming, it should be fun!

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:15 pm

Mighty Goblin wrote: Small time stuff, just for fun. It's gaming, it should be fun!

Amen,

If you can't enjoy it then don't do it.. I get paid to deal with hassles all day long at work.. I would love to get paid for gaming.. LOL

Casey :ugeek:
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

user_nh

Post by user_nh » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:02 am

Not sure if its helpful but I will (am, kind of already) use OWM for my roleplaying campaigns and as a writing aid (visualisation and all that).

Roleplaying-wise I want to make a huge-ass world map with roads, cities, continents obviously with regions and borders as well as bodies of water... not much use for objects in my case, as -most- things (cave entrances, ruins etc.) are only going to be added later on Roll20 when the players discover it.

I'm not going to use the Dungeon Tools as its just too detail oriented. I can rationalise working on a Worldmap for weeks because I'm a perfectionist and its a one-time thing, but Dungeons? I would drown in the art assets and -have- to use them and then a detail I need is missing and I go (more) insane. And it would just take too much time. Might check again at some point if it can be used for simple maps too (atm I just use black and white dungeons with doors&windows, maybe the occassional pool/pillars/huge lever, no details other than that).

Very interested though in the city tools, my current ones look atrocious.

Oh yeah, fantasy campaigns, mostly :) We've dabbled in scifi as well though, so eh, things might change.

lauraoliva

Post by lauraoliva » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:00 pm

Other World Mapper has been a tremendous help in mapping and tracking locations for The Crystal Blades: Assassins. Chris and I hope to extend its use to creating the city maps when that feature becomes available for the rest of the series.

I'm looking forward to replicating all the hand drawn maps I have for Valshan before we dive into that world.