What are your plans for Other World Mapper?

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

mrverbal

Re: What are your plans for Other World Mapper?

Post by mrverbal » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:40 pm

It's a semi-self created world.

Myself and some friends have built a world around the "worlds largest city" product made by...well whoever, I forget - that we've been shared-GMing over the last half decade or so.

So we've all added other cities and continents as time passes. And now I'm running a game with some *other* friends based loosely in the same world and a map would be handy :)

Big Mac

Post by Big Mac » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:14 pm

mrverbal wrote:It's a semi-self created world.

Myself and some friends have built a world around the "worlds largest city" product made by...well whoever, I forget - that we've been shared-GMing over the last half decade or so.

So we've all added other cities and continents as time passes. And now I'm running a game with some *other* friends based loosely in the same world and a map would be handy :)
It sounds like your project might be useful to other fans of the World's Largest City. It was published by Alderac Entertainment Group. They also make World's Largest Dungeon. Did you add that into your world?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums

mrverbal

Post by mrverbal » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:56 pm

We did play with the WED but it was pretty limited; just repeatedly crashing adventurers into its various hell traps.

With the city, we ignore a fair portion of the printed material. We use the general shape and layout, and the sort of flavor and texture, but ignore or heavily adapt large chunks. Like most modules, you take what you find useful and ditch the rest.

May share the maps and world background here once made.

Big Mac

Post by Big Mac » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:57 am

mrverbal wrote:May share the maps and world background here once made.
I'll be keen to see anything anyone else can make with OWM, when it gets released. :)
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:43 am

Big Mac wrote:I'll be keen to see anything anyone else can make with OWM, when it gets released. :)
I second that motion.

A map sharing area would be pretty keen.

Casey :ugeek:
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

mrverbal

Post by mrverbal » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:35 am

unklStewy wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'll be keen to see anything anyone else can make with OWM, when it gets released. :)
I second that motion.

A map sharing area would be pretty keen.

Thirded! It's sort of what I was thinking in the suggestion thread for adding a "world building" forum. It'd give people a place to show off what they've built, talk about their world, ask for suggestions and advice on how to build something/where to place something etc etc.

(I mean obviously you'd need to be a tad circumspect with details sometimes, as players are creative buggers :) )

Dan

Post by Dan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:34 pm

Well, first post so I'll start by saying Hey and, congrats guys... looking forward to the release.

Up to know I have ran games mainly in Forgotten Realms: Faerun. But I have dabbled with drawing some of my own maps - however, I usually give up because I can't bring it all together due to lack of system (which is where OWM comes into play).

I tend to mainly create towns, cities and other small areas - e.g. I have recently drawn out an island fortress off of the coast of Waterdeep.

So, I'm hoping to put these into the system to fill out the idea and also help me with inspiration. Plus, I think just playing about with OWM will be fun and will allow me to come up with some good maps etc.

I should say I have recently started a 5th edition campaign, but I think, once I can use Other World, I will be making a map for use with the Iron Kingdoms system, set in a Steampunk Victorian'esque setting.

Can't wait to see it go live... :D
"The difference between the quest for the Holy Grail and someone saying ‘bring me a cup’ is the flavour text and the number of stops involved"

"And you thought a Natural 1 was bad..."

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:20 pm

Dan wrote:Well, first post so I'll start by saying Hey and, congrats guys... looking forward to the release.

Welcome Dan,

I loved Faerun and Forgotten Realms.. Some of my fondest adventures took place there. :D

unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

diamondb

Post by diamondb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Over the 30+ years I've been involved with RPGs and world building, I've used all manner of mapping techniques and I'm hoping Other World Mapper is is the last one I use. I've recently begun work on a world for both my fiction and gaming and while right now it is all pencil and paper (frustrated with CC3 learning curve and dissatisfied with AutoRealm quirks), I fully intend to put it into digital format with OWM.

Big Mac

Post by Big Mac » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:10 pm

Dan wrote:Up to know I have ran games mainly in Forgotten Realms: Faerun. But I have dabbled with drawing some of my own maps - however, I usually give up because I can't bring it all together due to lack of system (which is where OWM comes into play).
Another Forgotten Realms fan! Well met, Dan! :)

Have you ever seen the cartography of Markustay? He is so good at emulating the official 3rd Edition Forgotten Realms cartography style, that a lot of fans mistake his maps for official maps. Even I have confused myself over one of Markustay's maps (a fanon Kara-Tur map that had Mahasarpa added to it) after somebody uploaded it to Forgotten Realms Wiki without his permission. :lol:
Dan wrote:I tend to mainly create towns, cities and other small areas - e.g. I have recently drawn out an island fortress off of the coast of Waterdeep.

So, I'm hoping to put these into the system to fill out the idea and also help me with inspiration. Plus, I think just playing about with OWM will be fun and will allow me to come up with some good maps etc.
Do you try to emulate the house style of 2e or 3e FR maps, when you make your maps?

Do you ever post any of your maps online (perhaps after your players have seen them)? I'm sure the people at the Forgotten Realms forum at The Piazza or the forums at Candlekeep would love to see your maps. I am one of the moderators at The Piazza, so please consider yourself officially invited over to talk to other FR fans. :)