Merging Dungeon Walls?

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

moriarty777

Merging Dungeon Walls?

Post by moriarty777 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:34 pm

Ok... I'm stressed, tired, and frustrated.

I want to use OWM for some quick dungeon mapping except some of the most basic things seem to escape me.

Under Dungeon Tools you are Closed Areas and the Corridor Tool. Why can't I marge two of this together? I see a grayed out 'Merge Walls' that I can't seem to check. In any event, the best I can do is 'overlap' one object with another which wouldn't be problem if I want to put down a 'door' in the place a corridor and closed area meet but... I don't want a door.

Look, I love OWM for overland maps and have had fun with it. But I really need some easy and quick way to do what I need to do here.

Can someone please help me?

M

Kyete
Site Moderator

Re: Merging Dungeon Walls?

Post by Kyete » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:41 pm

Sorry for the frustration. Visually merging walls between closed areas and corridors is something we're still working on.

In the mean time, you can make narrow closed areas and merge them with other closed areas to look like corridors. Or you could use the closed area add drawing mode, the second button on the closed area toolbar. That would let you add onto existing closed areas.

Please let us know if those don't work for you or if I've been unclear.
-Katie

moriarty777

Post by moriarty777 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:32 pm

Kyete wrote:In the mean time, you can make narrow closed areas and merge them with other closed areas to look like corridors. Or you could use the closed area add drawing mode, the second button on the closed area toolbar. That would let you add onto existing closed areas.

Please let us know if those don't work for you or if I've been unclear.
-Katie
Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Unfortunately, I can find no way to make closed areas merge with other closed areas. At least no way that I know of. It works with the corridor tool in the sense that you can have a corridor down and when you go to start a new one (should your area overlap with a pre-existing one), it will merge allowing you to branch a corridor easily enough. When you do it with closed areas, they are just overlapping layers which both surrounded with walls. If there was a way to truly enable this, if could go a long way of adding a bit of easy functionality.

The second part, I admit I'm not sure what you are referring to. When I am using the Closed Area Tool, I see closed Area Tool Properties which allows you to modify texture, stuff for the wall, inner and outer strokes... If I select the closed area that I put down, right clicking brings up a menu, but none of that helps. Not sure what you mean by the closed area drawing mode.

That said... were you talking about using the 'wall' tool? Honestly, this is the only way I've been able to do it -- use the wall tool to do the complex. To get that next 'texture' for my floor, use the 'zone tool' to trace the contour afterwards for the 'floor'. It's quite a bit more work to do it in this manner though as you almost have to try and trace everything out in one go with a single wall. You can branch off of walls but if you closed off the area, merging walls to create a another area doesn't open up the passage between them. Sadly, this isn't an elegant solution either. :(

I've bought OWM the start of 2018 and I know it's been worked on a few years. I really do like it and I love some of the overland stuff I've done with it. It feels like it's so close to being 'perfect' but it stumbles a bit when it comes to dungeon stuff. I know this wasn't (isn't) the main focus of OWM but it just seems to be 'almost there'.

Any other ideas would, of course, be most welcome.

M

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:34 pm

Sorry for the slow replies! This has been a pretty crazy week for us.
moriarty777 wrote:
Unfortunately, I can find no way to make closed areas merge with other closed areas. At least no way that I know of. It works with the corridor tool in the sense that you can have a corridor down and when you go to start a new one (should your area overlap with a pre-existing one), it will merge allowing you to branch a corridor easily enough. When you do it with closed areas, they are just overlapping layers which both surrounded with walls. If there was a way to truly enable this, if could go a long way of adding a bit of easy functionality.

The second part, I admit I'm not sure what you are referring to. When I am using the Closed Area Tool, I see closed Area Tool Properties which allows you to modify texture, stuff for the wall, inner and outer strokes... If I select the closed area that I put down, right clicking brings up a menu, but none of that helps. Not sure what you mean by the closed area drawing mode.
M

Closed areas and other close path tools can be merged via Merge->Union or Merge->Difference (to create holes), and you can also change the draw mode from the options across the top when the tool is selected into add and subtract mode (as well as changing the pen, or the shape that you are drawing).
moriarty777 wrote: That said... were you talking about using the 'wall' tool? Honestly, this is the only way I've been able to do it -- use the wall tool to do the complex. To get that next 'texture' for my floor, use the 'zone tool' to trace the contour afterwards for the 'floor'. It's quite a bit more work to do it in this manner though as you almost have to try and trace everything out in one go with a single wall. You can branch off of walls but if you closed off the area, merging walls to create a another area doesn't open up the passage between them. Sadly, this isn't an elegant solution either. :(
M
This is the main problem with how the tools are working right now. We are currently working to have functionality similar to how rivers and bodies of water "blend" automatically, so that it will work for dungeon tools too. We are a bit behind this, but should get to finish it later this year.
moriarty777 wrote: I've bought OWM the start of 2018 and I know it's been worked on a few years. I really do like it and I love some of the overland stuff I've done with it. It feels like it's so close to being 'perfect' but it stumbles a bit when it comes to dungeon stuff. I know this wasn't (isn't) the main focus of OWM but it just seems to be 'almost there'.

M
Dungeon and city tools are the ones that have the furthest to go when it comes to our planned functionality. The OSX release work last year got us really behind, but dungeon tools will get our full attention after V0.9.7 is out (and the Linux version is out).

Thank you!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Grog

Post by Grog » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:59 am

Dungeon and city tools are the ones that have the furthest to go when it comes to our planned functionality. The OSX release work last year got us really behind, but dungeon tools will get our full attention after V0.9.7 is out (and the Linux version is out).
Since it's the end of the year, how close are we to finally getting this? I've been getting into dungeon map creation, and it's by far the most annoying part :lol:

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:45 pm

Grog wrote: Since it's the end of the year, how close are we to finally getting this? I've been getting into dungeon map creation, and it's by far the most annoying part :lol:
Got it partially working, but I'm not happy with it enough to be included with our next release. The way it's looking the January release is going to be fixing bugs, bringing in new versions of some of our dependencies that had gotten a bit behind and adding overall functionality like search, translations, etc.

Wall interaction is still high on our list, but opening/closing of doors and having the ability to create opening on walls took away a lot of the dungeon tools dev time this year. On the bright side, I was really happy with how that turned out :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software