Before I buy, I'd like to ask about a few features....

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

Maldicta

Before I buy, I'd like to ask about a few features....

Post by Maldicta » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:45 pm

I've tried out the beta, but I've run into a few issues that I am not sure if are addressed in the full version. I'd like to ask if they are:

1. I can't make anything round in a dungeon. No matter how I try it, I get squares. I can't seem to make non-squares at all, in fact.

2. I'm not entirely clear on how to delete walls from a dungeon. When I place a room and a hallway, they have solid walls. Is there a way to remove those WITHOUT adding a door?

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Before I buy, I'd like to ask about a few features....

Post by Kanchou » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:54 pm

Maldicta wrote:I've tried out the beta, but I've run into a few issues that I am not sure if are addressed in the full version. I'd like to ask if they are:

1. I can't make anything round in a dungeon. No matter how I try it, I get squares. I can't seem to make non-squares at all, in fact.

2. I'm not entirely clear on how to delete walls from a dungeon. When I place a room and a hallway, they have solid walls. Is there a way to remove those WITHOUT adding a door?
Welcome and thank you for the questions!

1. On this, you can change the tool you are using to be a different shape (round, polygon or line based) from the tool settings at the top
Tools.jpg
Tools.jpg (31.44 KiB) Viewed 8799 times
2. In most of the maps we've done as samples we normally use the close area or corridor tools for the outside and the wall tool for the inside, so the gaps are created by not having a wall from a stand alone tool.

So, you can't create openings in walls yet, but that's something that will be added soon (as well as the option to have the door open).

Let me know if you have any other questions

- Alejandro
Attachments
ClosedArea.jpg
ClosedArea.jpg (121.81 KiB) Viewed 8799 times
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Phantom77

Post by Phantom77 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:17 pm

Since I'm a newbie and I'm still using the demo version of OWM, I decided to post my question here, in this thread. :)

How can I create a local or regional map from a selected area within a continent?

I tried using the Region Tool under Overland Tools, but then when I select the region and transfer it to a new map, it copies it without its shorelines.

I tried using New from Selection under File menu, but I'm only able to select a whole continent. That action does not let me select a smaller area from within a continent.

I tried using New from Area under File menu, but I'm still on a learning curve in how to best use that. So far, when I open New from Area, it simply selects the entire world map.

I will greatly appreciate any help on how to create a scaled down, local or regional map from within a continent. :)
Andrew

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:49 am

Phantom77 wrote:Since I'm a newbie and I'm still using the demo version of OWM, I decided to post my question here, in this thread. :)

How can I create a local or regional map from a selected area within a continent?

I tried using the Region Tool under Overland Tools, but then when I select the region and transfer it to a new map, it copies it without its shorelines.

I tried using New from Selection under File menu, but I'm only able to select a whole continent. That action does not let me select a smaller area from within a continent.

I tried using New from Area under File menu, but I'm still on a learning curve in how to best use that. So far, when I open New from Area, it simply selects the entire world map.

I will greatly appreciate any help on how to create a scaled down, local or regional map from within a continent. :)
I think for what you are trying to do the best approach would be the "New from Area" option.

In that window, you can enter the X/Y offset, and the width/height to define a rectangle of the map to create a new map from. So, for instance, typing
X Offset: 200
Y Offset: 400
Width: 1000
Height: 2000

Will select that rectangle from within the map (it will update on the preview to show it). The new map size is automatically updated to that section, and you can also upscale/downscale that section as needed.

This is a new feature from V1.0.1 so Katie covered it with the video
https://youtu.be/93i43ngp3ck

Let me know if that does it :)

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Phantom77

Post by Phantom77 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:09 am

Kanchou wrote:
Phantom77 wrote:Since I'm a newbie and I'm still using the demo version of OWM, I decided to post my question here, in this thread. :)

I think for what you are trying to do the best approach would be the "New from Area" option.

In that window, you can enter the X/Y offset, and the width/height to define a rectangle of the map to create a new map from. So, for instance, typing
X Offset: 200
Y Offset: 400
Width: 1000
Height: 2000

Will select that rectangle from within the map (it will update on the preview to show it). The new map size is automatically updated to that section, and you can also upscale/downscale that section as needed.

This is a new feature from V1.0.1 so Katie covered it with the video
https://youtu.be/93i43ngp3ck

Let me know if that does it :)

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Even after watching and rewatching Katie's video (the segment covering New from Area), I am still having difficulty.

What is the easiest way to get the x coordinate and y coordinate to get the rectangle over the right area? Hover my cursor over the spot where I want the rectangle corners to be, and then write down the coordinate for reference, when I'm in the New from Area preview interface?

Because I tried using that method to get the right x coordinate and the right y coordinate I want, but the rectangle still was not close to where I wanted it. So I kept guessing which coordinates I needed to put in, until I got the rectangle where I wanted it.

I guess I'm confused as to how I get the right data to enter, to get the results that I want.

And even after I finally guess what I needed to enter to have the Select Area rectangle positioned where I want it, when I create the new map from the New from Area interface, it's way off, and nowhere near the area that was enclosed by the preview's rectangle.

I did Print Screen, then saved it in a Microsoft Word document, but this forum will not accept it. Thank you for your help with this.
Andrew

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:42 pm

Phantom77 wrote: Even after watching and rewatching Katie's video (the segment covering New from Area), I am still having difficulty.

What is the easiest way to get the x coordinate and y coordinate to get the rectangle over the right area? Hover my cursor over the spot where I want the rectangle corners to be, and then write down the coordinate for reference, when I'm in the New from Area preview interface?

Because I tried using that method to get the right x coordinate and the right y coordinate I want, but the rectangle still was not close to where I wanted it. So I kept guessing which coordinates I needed to put in, until I got the rectangle where I wanted it.

I guess I'm confused as to how I get the right data to enter, to get the results that I want.

And even after I finally guess what I needed to enter to have the Select Area rectangle positioned where I want it, when I create the new map from the New from Area interface, it's way off, and nowhere near the area that was enclosed by the preview's rectangle.

I did Print Screen, then saved it in a Microsoft Word document, but this forum will not accept it. Thank you for your help with this.
What are the dimensions of your original map? Also, are you trying to upscale/downscale? Sounds like you may have come across a bug if it the new map area isn't correct.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software