Impressive Program

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

Ironclad

Impressive Program

Post by Ironclad » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:01 am

I just wanted to say how impressed I am with OWM. I was looking for a straightforward new program that would enable me to draw or trace wargame maps and this looks to fit the bill or will do fully when I can import pnc or jpg images to supplement those already there (unless that facility is avaiilable now). Its early days so I'm slowly discovering what features are present.

Having tried out Campaign Cartographer 3 plus and been overwhelmed by its steep learning curve its a pleasure to be able to get into OWM so quickly. Admitttedly in my hurry I failed to properly read the tool tips fully so experienced a bit of trial and error helped greatly by the information in your You Tube videos. Less so by the manual initially - although once I got my bearings and better understood the language and references its also proving a good information and learning source. If you are planning to revisit the videos at some point, you may find it useful to do a longer one to the very useful kickstarter session that can act as a full introduction or useful checklist of current features for newcomers.

I was particularly interested about tracing possibilities so was pleased to find a reference to it in your forum and discovered what is possible. Its great that one can use zero % opacity to see all the details in the imported original even after the landmass outline is produced allowing one to add the OWM symbols and inserts on top of the trace items whilst switching to 100% opacity every now and again to study the result. Great stuff.

I look forward to future development updates. Btw as I'm only interested in the overland version I got the basic version but would like the chance to purchase any additional overland sets if these are offered separately in the future.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Impressive Program

Post by Kanchou » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:38 pm

Ironclad wrote:I just wanted to say how impressed I am with OWM. I was looking for a straightforward new program that would enable me to draw or trace wargame maps and this looks to fit the bill or will do fully when I can import pnc or jpg images to supplement those already there (unless that facility is avaiilable now). Its early days so I'm slowly discovering what features are present.
Thank you so much for the kind words and great feedback! It made the team's Thanksgiving break :)

1. We do plan to revisit the videos and make tutorial videos. The idea of re-doing the Kickstarter video with the updated functionality (OWM's changed a lot) is a great one. We'll work to do that soon.

2. You can import your own artwork into OWM. OWM is completely open in that regard so you are not limited to artwork we provide/sell. You can do it via the Art Manager (under tools), or manually if you want to play with folder structures.
There is a section in the manual about it.

3. Good point about the sets. Yes, the expansion version has a lot of artwork that is also good for overland maps so we'll work to have those as add on packages. We are already planning to add an "artwork store" to the website after V0.9.3 comes out (but as I said, you will *always* be able to import your own artwork/artwork you got somewhere else).

Thank you again!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software