Removing Features from Selection?

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

Gossamer

Removing Features from Selection?

Post by Gossamer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:25 pm

Hello! I'm enjoying the program so far, but I'm having some trouble selecting features placed on my map. I'm using the box select tool to select a bunch of trees I put down for a forest, but they're so close to some mountains that a few of the mountains inevitably end up selected as well. Is there a way to remove a feature from a selection?

Thanks!

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Removing Features from Selection?

Post by Kanchou » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:39 pm

Gossamer wrote:Hello! I'm enjoying the program so far, but I'm having some trouble selecting features placed on my map. I'm using the box select tool to select a bunch of trees I put down for a forest, but they're so close to some mountains that a few of the mountains inevitably end up selected as well. Is there a way to remove a feature from a selection?

Thanks!
Glad you are enjoying OWM so far!

1. OWM supports standard keyboard shortcuts (they are listed in the help document, you can access from Help->View Help Document).
For what you are trying to do, once you have the large selection, you can switch to the Select or Transform tool, and click on the features you want to remove from the selection while holding "ALT"

2. You can also do selection/deselection from the layers window.
In this case you once you have the large selection, you can click on the features you don't want on the layer's window, while holding "ALT"

Hopefully that lets you do what you are trying to do. Otherwise just let us know!

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Gossamer

Post by Gossamer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:55 pm

Thank you for the fast response! Switching to the Single select tool before using Alt did the trick. I had not switched tools when attempting to unselect features previously. It feels a bit unintuitive, but I'm glad there's a solution.

I did try holding Alt while clicking on features in the feature list. That just unselected everything, however.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:59 pm

Gossamer wrote:Thank you for the fast response! Switching to the Single select tool before using Alt did the trick. I had not switched tools when attempting to unselect features previously. It feels a bit unintuitive, but I'm glad there's a solution.
We'll look into making that more intuitive/without having to change tools. Thank you for the feedback!
Gossamer wrote: I did try holding Alt while clicking on features in the feature list. That just unselected everything, however.
That was my mistake. It's something we are adding with the next release and I was running one of our internal builds :). But it will work that way with the next release.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

nDervish

Post by nDervish » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:32 am

Kanchou wrote: 1. OWM supports standard keyboard shortcuts (they are listed in the help document, you can access from Help->View Help Document).
For what you are trying to do, once you have the large selection, you can switch to the Select or Transform tool, and click on the features you want to remove from the selection while holding "ALT"
Ehm... The "standard keyboard shortcuts" I'm aware of in Windows and Linux use ctrl-click to add or remove items from a selection, not alt-click. Is alt-click a Mac thing?

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:33 am

nDervish wrote:
Kanchou wrote: 1. OWM supports standard keyboard shortcuts (they are listed in the help document, you can access from Help->View Help Document).
Ehm... The "standard keyboard shortcuts" I'm aware of in Windows and Linux use ctrl-click to add or remove items from a selection, not alt-click. Is alt-click a Mac thing?
Hello!

* CTRL + click will add or remove in OWM
* ALT + click will only remove

I mentioned ALT because he wanted to only remove from the selection.

Those are pretty standard across multiple apps that we checked.

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software