Expanding boarders

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

Regis662

Expanding boarders

Post by Regis662 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:02 pm

Hey all, I'm new to OWM but so far I've created a fairly accurate map for a personal project I've been working on, however its a focused version of one area of a much larger world.
Given the area I've created is the center of the world I'm wondering if i can extend the boarders in all other directions or at least copy/paste the map so far into a new larger map world.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Expanding boarders

Post by Kanchou » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:19 pm

Regis662 wrote:Hey all, I'm new to OWM but so far I've created a fairly accurate map for a personal project I've been working on, however its a focused version of one area of a much larger world.
Given the area I've created is the center of the world I'm wondering if i can extend the boarders in all other directions or at least copy/paste the map so far into a new larger map world.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Welcome! And thank you for the question.

You can do both:

1) You can change the map/canvas size from the "Map"--> "Setup" window by editing the width and height fields. The default is expanding or contracting in all directions, but you can change that by clicking on the arrows.

2) You can select everything in your map and do Edit --> Copy. Then create a new map and simply paste the copied selection into it.

3) You can select everything in your map and do File->New From Selection.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Regis662

Post by Regis662 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:33 pm

That's exactly what i was looking for thanks! Can i select sections of the map and expand via dragging wider? I've built on quite a small scale for my first map as it took me a while to find the scaling tool for the features.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Regis662 wrote:That's exactly what i was looking for thanks! Can i select sections of the map and expand via dragging wider? I've built on quite a small scale for my first map as it took me a while to find the scaling tool for the features.
You are welcome!

1) If you use the transform tool to drag the selection and make it larger, the features won't scale. The will retain their relative position but their scale will be the same.
You can still select all features with the layers window and change the scale for all of them from the properties.

2) Alternatively, you can select everything in your map and do File->New From Selection. That window will let you scale the map as well as making the document larger (using the Selection Scale field). This the features will get scaled as well.

Note: if you are dragging the selection you can lock proportions from the toolbar options at the top or hold "Shift" while dragging.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software