Recalculate Shorelines?

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

user_cs

Recalculate Shorelines?

Post by user_cs » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:11 am

If I heavily modify a shoreline to enlarge the area, I loose the fractal generation and wind up with a smooth shoreline. This is especially true if I wind up adding new control points. Is there a way to get OWM to recalculate the shoreline to achieve the same great look as the rest of the map?

Thanks.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Recalculate Shorelines?

Post by Kanchou » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:30 pm

user_cs wrote:If I heavily modify a shoreline to enlarge the area, I loose the fractal generation and wind up with a smooth shoreline. This is especially true if I wind up adding new control points. Is there a way to get OWM to recalculate the shoreline to achieve the same great look as the rest of the map?

Thanks.
Hello!

That's a good point. Not right now, the algorithm has a default smoothing factor trying to emulate the look of shorelines on maps as you move away from the landmass.

We could add the smoothing factor the UI so that you can set a custom value for it. Shorelines also have other improvements that are planned for after V1.0.

V0.9.2 is about to come out, but we'll look into adding some level of control for the release after.

Thank you for your feedback!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software