Tile Mapping

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

Vegomatic

Tile Mapping

Post by Vegomatic » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:59 pm

I have beta access, I just have had little to no time to play with it yet and have a quick question....

Could this tool also be used as a tile mapper? It already supports square and hex grids, could tiles be defined to be laid on the grid?

What about an isometric view? Perhaps lay out the tiles from overhead (2D) and then tilt it to a 3D view? Multi-level?

If it can do these things it will spring forth a whole list of other feature questions (perhaps they are already there). If it can, perhaps someone can point me in the right direction to play with it?

My question comes from having various types of dungeon tiles and wanting a tool (hoping for one stop mapping tool) that will make it easy to design a building/dungeon/cavern type layout with tiles. That will make is so much easier to design a layout and and grab the tiles I need to build it at game time.

Anyway... downloading beta 6 as I type this and I hope to have some time to play with it this weekend. :)
> Veg

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Tile Mapping

Post by Kanchou » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:56 am

Hello!
Vegomatic wrote: Could this tool also be used as a tile mapper? It already supports square and hex grids, could tiles be defined to be laid on the grid?
What about an isometric view? Perhaps lay out the tiles from overhead (2D) and then tilt it to a 3D view? Multi-level?

If it can do these things it will spring forth a whole list of other feature questions (perhaps they are already there). If it can, perhaps someone can point me in the right direction to play with it?

My question comes from having various types of dungeon tiles and wanting a tool (hoping for one stop mapping tool) that will make it easy to design a building/dungeon/cavern type layout with tiles. That will make is so much easier to design a layout and and grab the tiles I need to build it at game time.

Anyway... downloading beta 6 as I type this and I hope to have some time to play with it this weekend. :)
Other World Mapper is half way there right now. You can select square, hex, isometric and diamond grids, and you can select the "snap mode" to be "Tiles" (from the map menu) - doing that features will snap to the center of the tile and "drawing" items will follow the tiles.

We are planning (and half way implemented) more functionality that would let you do tile-based maps from Other World Mapper all the way. We put that aside for after V1.0 because it wasn't something promised with the Kickstarter Campaign and promised features are behind schedule.

Regarding the tilt 3D view, can you give us some links to maps in that style so we can take a look?

Thank you for your questions!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Cronus3166

Re: Tile Mapping

Post by Cronus3166 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:18 am

I was trying to play around with an isometric approach the other day. I feel that if you can get a set of symbols and tile images that are all the same/correct scaling, it could be done.

When I attempted it, my floor tiles were not all the same scale, so using the grid and snap features from OWW made it tricky. I think down the road if they want to fully implement Isometric, they have a lot of the tools ready for it, but right now I think it was going to be more work than I wanted to invest to make an Isometric Map.