How to change landmass color/texture in specific locations

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

Heru

How to change landmass color/texture in specific locations

Post by Heru » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:39 am

Hi,

I couldn't think of a better topic, so please let me explain my problem:
On the image I attached you can see that I have a "Ground Landmass", a "ForestGround Landmass" and a River.
The "Ground Landmass" is, as the name suggests, the basic landmass of the continent. I now want to add to
that Landmass a forest. I want the ground of this forest to be green (because, forest). So I put another landmass
on top of the "Ground Landmass", the "ForestGround Landmass". Problem is, when I want to have a River start in
the "Ground Landmass" and traverse (or end in) the "ForestGround Landmass", it doesn't work. If I click inside
the "ForestGround Landmass", the click does nothing; if I click in the "Ground Landmass", the river is BEHIND
the "ForestGround Landmass".
I tried all three "Merge Paths" options, which sadly didn't help. I went through all menus but didn't find anything I
thought would help.

So, is this just not yet implemented or am I blind and/or stupid?

Otherwise, I'm very happy with OWM so far. :)
Attachments
OWM_Merge.png
OWM_Merge.png (179.46 KiB) Viewed 7865 times

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: How to change landmass color/texture in specific locations

Post by Kanchou » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:40 pm

Heru wrote:Hi,

I couldn't think of a better topic, so please let me explain my problem:
On the image I attached you can see that I have a "Ground Landmass", a "ForestGround Landmass" and a River.
The "Ground Landmass" is, as the name suggests, the basic landmass of the continent. I now want to add to
that Landmass a forest. I want the ground of this forest to be green (because, forest). So I put another landmass
on top of the "Ground Landmass", the "ForestGround Landmass". Problem is, when I want to have a River start in
the "Ground Landmass" and traverse (or end in) the "ForestGround Landmass", it doesn't work. If I click inside
the "ForestGround Landmass", the click does nothing; if I click in the "Ground Landmass", the river is BEHIND
the "ForestGround Landmass".
I tried all three "Merge Paths" options, which sadly didn't help. I went through all menus but didn't find anything I
thought would help.

So, is this just not yet implemented or am I blind and/or stupid?

Otherwise, I'm very happy with OWM so far. :)
Heru,

Landmasses are generally used for continents, so they are parents to everything inside of them (except other landmasses). For what you are trying to do, you would want to create a forest region inside the landmass using the region tool.

Just ask if you have any questions that aren't covered by the preliminary help document! :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Heru

Post by Heru » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:59 am

Thank you so very much!

I didn't even think about the region tool in this way! I'm an idiot -.-

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:56 am

Heru wrote:Thank you so very much!

I didn't even think about the region tool in this way! I'm an idiot -.-
It's okay! :)

We need to create a lot more tutorial videos, particularly a few where we do a map from stratch. Beta 6 is behind schedule, so we pushed doing those back.

Meanwhile, please use the forums to continue asking questions :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

soulclaw

Post by soulclaw » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:54 pm

On the topic of regions, I read that one can set up a region that follows the contours of the landmass, but I can't figure out how to do this. I looked in the guide .pdf but didn't see this topic, did I miss it?
A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single command from a satellite activated mind control chip.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:20 pm

soulclaw wrote:On the topic of regions, I read that one can set up a region that follows the contours of the landmass, but I can't figure out how to do this. I looked in the guide .pdf but didn't see this topic, did I miss it?
If you select the region tool, hovering over the edge of a landmass will show a "Click to follow contour" hint. You can click and then click again on the outline of the landmass at a different point and you'll notice the region follows the landmass as you draw. You can continue following as much of the outline as you want, and freely mix with using one of the pens to draw inside the landmass.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software