The Great Beta UI Feedback Thread

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

Kanchou
Site Admin

The Great Beta UI Feedback Thread

Post by Kanchou » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:40 pm

Please give us overall feedback regarding the UI with V0.8.1 in this thread
(bugs/small feature requests should still go in their forums).

Keep in mind:

1) Changes that were planned that didn't make it to V0.8.1 will be added to the next release (we needed to draw the line for the release).

2) Preset pallet will have other options that were cut out from this release (history, bookmark).
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

stefanstr

Re: The Great Beta UI Feedback Thread

Post by stefanstr » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:41 pm

My first impression of the new UI (the presets etc.) is very positive. Exactly what I had in mind in my previous feedback. Great job, guys. :)

EDIT: I like having the new Transform Tool as my default go-to manipulation/select tool. However, it took me a while to understand why the select tool doesn't let me move landmasses with the mouse. It might make sense to add a note in the Tutorial to explain that this tool is not for manipulation and that you should use the Transform Tool instead.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:08 pm

stefanstr wrote:My first impression of the new UI (the presets etc.) is very positive. Exactly what I had in mind in my previous feedback. Great job, guys. :)
Very happy to hear that! There's still more to come with the ability to bookmark presets and see recently used. That should help with UI quite a bit.
stefanstr wrote: EDIT: I like having the new Transform Tool as my default go-to manipulation/select tool. However, it took me a while to understand why the select tool doesn't let me move landmasses with the mouse. It might make sense to add a note in the Tutorial to explain that this tool is not for manipulation and that you should use the Transform Tool instead.
Agreed. We missed updating the tutorial window text, plus we need to update the original how to/tutorial pdf we created with the first release.
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

orangebug

Post by orangebug » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:48 pm

A quick note on window scaling (this might be better suited for the small feature request forum):

I tried installing OWM on my Surface Pro 4 (not planning on doing that much mapping on it since my CC3 assets are on my desktop). Window scaling is set to 200% on it because of it's very high resolution display. This is what I ended up with:
Note the Google Drive desktop icon for scale. TinyPic rescaled the image when I uploaded it (original size: 2047x1460).

The scaling of the dropdown menu items is fine, but the icons are all kinda small. There are also some scaling issues with the property window tabs. Other than that it's still very usable.

For an example of poor (or none at all) window scaling, here's a picture of poor little TokenTool on my Surface Pro 4:
Again, note the gigantic Google Drive desktop icon for scale. It's the same size as in the other picture, TinyPic just didn't rescale this picture when I uploaded it.
System Info:
CPU: i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz
RAM: 32GB
GPU: AMD RX 480

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:32 pm

orangebug wrote:A quick note on window scaling (this might be better suited for the small feature request forum):
Good catch! Not a feature, you can't call it anything but a bug :).

Beta 3 is coming out this 18th, so we may not get to fix it with this release, but we'll fix it with one after.

Thank you!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software