Testing on Linux with Wine

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

unklStewy

Testing on Linux with Wine

Post by unklStewy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:49 pm

Kanchou wrote:Casey,
unklStewy wrote: I plan on playing with Wine and OpenSuse this evening or tomorrow to see how that works out.
I'm very very curious about that. I've been meaning to try over here, but I haven't had the time. Please let us know how that test goes :)

Thank you!!!!
- Alejandro
Alejandro,

Ok I have done some more testing with both .rpm and .deb based package installers and for the life of me I can't get a good clean run on the .rpm systems. Both Fedora and OpenSuse are complaining about stc3d libraries that don't seem to link properly. This causes the OWM installer to fail right out of the gate. I will try to recompile them against winelib when I have more free time.

There is more progress on the .deb based package systems. On Ubuntu and Debian I can get the setup.exe for OWM-64 bit to run and complete successfully with it depositing a nice little OWM icon on my XFCE desktop with icon intact. The setup_x86.exe bombs on both 32-Bit and 64-Bit WINEPREFIXES. I didn't dig into this much but if you want me to I can.

Everything seemed to be going well. However once I started to run the the application from console I noticed that there is an MFC dll file that is missing. I first tried to copy an existing copy of mfc110u.dll from one of my Windows machines to see if that would work but alas it did not. I then tried to use winetricks to install mfc42 but this version of the foundation class did not seem to work either.

My suggestion for when you get to working on the linux version either as a Wine friendly application or as a Mono native app that you compile your MFC calls against Winelib to save some time. It might require some heavy lifting but it would save an engine rewrite.

-Casey A. :ugeek:

It all goes wrong.. Here.. LoL
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Testing on Linux with Wine

Post by Kanchou » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:42 am

Casey,

Thank you for all the info!

The engine is cross platform for the most part (save for a few gdiplus calls). Our original idea was a native GUI rewrite for Linux, but Winelib is a good idea, even if just for the first linux release(s).

Thanks!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

unklStewy

Re: Testing on Linux with Wine

Post by unklStewy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:16 pm

Alejandro,

If it was helpful them I am happy to do it.

-Casey A. :ugeek:
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net