Windows 10 - Does it break OWM?

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

Big Mac

Windows 10 - Does it break OWM?

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:31 pm

Has anyone in the Alpha Team experimented with Windows 10 yet?

Does Windows 10 do anything weird that might cause problems for Other World Mapper?

I know that they were talking about AMD problems with Windows 10, back in May.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums

Rumburak

Re: Windows 10 - Does it break OWM?

Post by Rumburak » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:22 am

I did some quick tests with OWM and Windows 10 technical preview a few weeks ago and I didn't run into problems during these tests.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:02 am

If I'm not mistaken, Casey has been running Other World Mapper in Win 10 for a while without problems. We stayed away from third party libraries as much as we could (in particular ones that could cause issues with Win 10).
Other World Mapper also runs its own 2D engine so if there are any small issues we would be able to address them without having to wait for a third party to fix them :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:53 pm

Good Evening,

Alejandro is correct, I have been running OWM on Windows 10 since the first alpha build was available. Windows 10 has been through several builds and the performance for that system has gotten steadily better. OWM has held it's own quote well and there haven't been any glitches that I would attribute to poor interaction with the OS. I was experiencing some slow load times for images from my Solid State Drive while using OWM but that was more due to a buggy version of the IAStore drivers from Intel.

I don't think you will experience any problems running OWM on Windows 10.

On a side note I have also tried running it on Windows Vista, Windows 7 and 8/8.1 .. there don't seem to be any issues with OS interaction. I plan on playing with Wine and OpenSuse this evening or tomorrow to see how that works out.

-Casey A. :ugeek:
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:26 pm

Casey,
unklStewy wrote: On a side note I have also tried running it on Windows Vista, Windows 7 and 8/8.1 .. there don't seem to be any issues with OS interaction.
I've had one report of issues with Vista that I haven't been able to reproduce. I'm starting to think it was a machine without the latest Vista service pack. If you do come across a Vista machine that has the issue I would appreciate it if you let me know its configuration/service pack version.
unklStewy wrote: I plan on playing with Wine and OpenSuse this evening or tomorrow to see how that works out.
I'm very very curious about that. I've been meaning to try over here, but I haven't had the time. Please let us know how that test goes :)

Thank you!!!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:47 pm

Alejandro,

The first test with Wine was a bust. I have to recompile Wine with non-open-source library linking and try again. Something in Wine relies on the STC3 2D rendering libraries and the Open Source version of that lib can't support it.

I will recompile and try again.

Casey A. :ugeek:

Edit: This is not a problem with the execution of the OWM application, it is a problem with the execution of the Installer.exe calling the STC3 2D Engine libraries .. still not sure what caused this on OpenSuse.

Last edited by unklStewy on Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:52 pm

Kanchou wrote:Casey,
I've had one report of issues with Vista that I haven't been able to reproduce. I'm starting to think it was a machine without the latest Vista service pack. If you do come across a Vista machine that has the issue I would appreciate it if you let me know its configuration/service pack version.
Alejandro,

I would be willing to try it on some different VM's and see if I can replicate the bug. Can you PM the bug report and I will see if I can replicate it. I have access to MSDN so I can download different versions of Vista until it breaks.

unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net