What framework is OWM being built on?

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

unklStewy

What framework is OWM being built on?

Post by unklStewy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:27 am

Good Morning.

Just color me curious but I was wondering which Framework Other World Mapper is built on. From the videos of the Alpha build it looks like it could be C#. Net or C++ with Winforms. I suppose that building in Mono could provide sufficient cross platform frameworks for Linux and Mac OS X.

Casey :ugeek:
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

kickstarter@gamesoc.com

Re: What framework is OWM being built on?

Post by kickstarter@gamesoc.com » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:53 am

Given the direction .NET is heading in with the recent announcement of it being opensourced it certainly seems that MS is pushing towards making .NET a true cross platform development tool so that might be a lucky choice if that's the route they have gone!

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:00 am

@gamesoc,

I agree, that could be a fortunate turn. I was reading the MSDN news headlines and a point of note is that Visual Studio 2015 appears to contain IDE integration for mono built in. There is already support for Mac. I might be a good time for me to download the ISO's and take a look at foundation server.

Casey
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

Farling

Post by Farling » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:11 am

From what I understand about open sourcing .NET, it is only the core that is being open sourced and not the WinForms (or some such UI layer). So it might be of limited usefulness.

stopher87

Post by stopher87 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:35 am

As a web developer I am fortuate that almost everything I write is cross platform from different OS's to mobile devices. As long as there is a web browser involved you can run an app.that would be my vote. There are plenty of good canvas libraries out there to do just this sort of thing.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:39 pm

Good development question! :)

Other World Mapper is built on C++ and Microsoft libraries for the UI. When we started development back in 2010 (as a side project), things didn't look so promising for managed code and .Net for cross platform implementations, so we did what we could to keep the core of OWM away from OS specific libraries (with the UI being the exception).
Mono is an option for us, and so are some other cross platform GUI libraries that use the OS's native API's (i.e. carbon) to give the "appropriate look" for the OS. If it comes down to it, since most of the code is C++ with cross platform graphics libraries, we'll build the GUI for Mac and Linux natively.
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:27 am

Kanchou,

Thanks for taking the time address our curiosity. I'm always curious about the tools that are I play. It is nice to see C++ getting its props on this project!

Casey :ugeek:
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net