Biggest Want for V1.0.5?

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

Kanchou
Site Admin

Biggest Want for V1.0.5?

Post by Kanchou » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:47 pm

Hello Everyone!

We're working on having more frequent and smaller releases. Considering that, what feature would you like most to be added with V1.0.5?

You can link to an existing thread if it's something we've already discussed :)

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

nDervish

Re: Biggest Want for V1.0.5?

Post by nDervish » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:58 am

More variation when placing things using feature lists.

For a first pass (plausible to include in 1.0.5), checkboxes to randomize the "flip horizontal" and/or "flip vertical" settings, and possibly also a slider to vary feature sizes by +/-X%.

Longer-term, I'd also like to see something to normalize feature sizes in a feature list, because, as great as the standard packaged assets are, their sizes are very inconsistent, so I can't use all 3MS trees or all 3MS mountains together without having to repeatedly adjust the feature scaling. However, I don't even have a coherent idea of what this would mean algorithmically (just setting everything to have the same height and/or width doesn't seem like a good solution, since they shouldn't all be the exact same size, either), so I don't consider it a reasonable candidate for 1.0.5.

Edit: Looking back through the feature requests board, I see that there is an existing thread: https://otherworldmapper.com/forum/view ... f=17&t=420

nDervish

Post by nDervish » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:24 am

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I can't find an existing thread:

For settings that can be adjusted using either text entry or a slider, allow manual entry of values outside of the slider's range.

For example, on one of my maps, I wanted to create a fenced area with visible fenceposts along its length, and decided the easiest way to do this would be to use the City Wall tool for the fence itself and the Wall Tower tool for the fenceposts. Unfortunately, this didn't work, because, at my map's scale, the fence should only be 10 pixels thick. The City Wall tool's "Size" slider only goes down to 20 px, and manually entering a value of 10 px just gets me an error popup stating "A value between 20 px and 200 px is required. Replaced with closest value." and a 20 px thick wall.

I realize that there probably are cases where hard limits are needed for technical reasons, but, when there's no technical requirement for the limit, I'd like to be able to manually enter any value regardless of the slider's limits.

(In the end, I used the plain Wall tool and had to make do without fenceposts - although I guess that ended up being better anyhow, because the fence has a gate and the Opening tool doesn't work with City Walls. Which it probably should, so that people can get in and out of their walled cities. :D )

Balmung

Post by Balmung » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:53 am

mr abomination

Post by mr abomination » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:30 pm

As discussed last year in this thread, I would like zooming to NOT recenter on the zoomed point every time the zoom level changes, but to zoom in towards the mouse cursor while keeping the same general area.

Right now I find myself getting lost in zooms when my mouse cursor is too far towards the edges and I can't figure out how to zoom towards the forest I'm working on.

To be more specific, I want the zoom behaviour of adobe photoshop cc, which is the most recent version I KNOW has this zoom behaviour.

evildmguy

Post by evildmguy » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:58 am

If I understand the placement tool, if I select a feature, then I select a Set, then a Category, the placement selects from everything in that Category. I think that the feature sets created by OWM are that specific but when I bring in assets, from Forgotten Adventures for example, it had a grouping, which I kept in the import, of Forest. That Category has dead trees, live trees, bushes, flowers, plants, and more. I don't want the placement to pick from all of them, just a subset.

With that as background, what I would like is to select the items to be used in the placement tool. Whether it is done by selecting them or by a search, just so I can use a sub set.

Is this possible?

ETA: Okay, I partially misspoke. Single, Tile, and Brick options can either do the item selected, or Cycle List if that is selected. (Further, it can be random or in order of the list.) Along a line or Fill Path is one selected symbol. I want my options for all of the options. Again, the only reason I want this is because the grouping of third party assets is such that I would have to break it down further. I am hoping it is easier to allow us to select the objects we want randomized and go from there.

Jon
aka edg

nDervish

Post by nDervish » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:01 am

evildmguy wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:58 am
With that as background, what I would like is to select the items to be used in the placement tool. Whether it is done by selecting them or by a search, just so I can use a sub set.

Is this possible?
Yes. When you select the Feature Tool, there are three tabs above the area where it displays the feature images. The second tab, "Your Feature Lists" can be used to create custom sets of features. Select a list there, then, in top bar with the Feature Tool active, select the "Cycle List" checkbox and set either "Random" or "In Order" and it will select features from that custom list.

The "Cycle List" function only works with actual lists, not with sets of search results, but there's a "Search" function in the "Manage Lists" popup, so you can do your search there and create a list from the search results fairly easily.

evildmguy

Post by evildmguy » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:04 pm

nDervish wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:01 am
evildmguy wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:58 am

Is this possible?
Yes. When you select the Feature Tool, there are three tabs above the area where it displays the feature images. The second tab, "Your Feature Lists" can be used to create custom sets of features. Select a list there, then, in top bar with the Feature Tool active, select the "Cycle List" checkbox and set either "Random" or "In Order" and it will select features from that custom list.

The "Cycle List" function only works with actual lists, not with sets of search results, but there's a "Search" function in the "Manage Lists" popup, so you can do your search there and create a list from the search results fairly easily.
That worked. Thanks.

Jon
aka edg

Wintermin

Post by Wintermin » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:35 am

Layers. My biggest want is layers. I realise that this is probably a much bigger ask than a 0.0.1 version increase though.

I love the software - the interface is great, and placement of the vector graphics is great also. It’s really built to do the overland and dungeon mapping I need for software like Roll20, and player handouts. However, there are landmass and region and lake and water tools, but the way they are stacked on top of each other is something that users can't influence. There are separate tools for different types of objects that make the same sorts of shapes, their difference being the order in which they are stacked on the map. A cave tool and a water tool, for example, can’t be applied in such a way that you can have a lake in a cave – you can make a cave coloured lake with a water coloured cave on top of it to work around this.
So, my request is either have the ability to group objects together in a layer and put them in any arbitrary order within that layer, and order those grouped layers however you want, or, just have a small number of highly flexible tools for drawing objects and allow them to be stacked any way the user wants. You can build a fairly good dungeon using mostly the closed area tool, but if you want a partly collapsed wall (fractal rather than a straight line or Bezier curve) you need to drop a zone with a fractal edge on top of it. In the lake/cave example above, you can just use two different coloured lakes or caves or zones etc. for the same effect because they have similar functions. When I export the map to other software like GIMP or Inkscape to do finishing touches I’ve got a lot of flexibility using layers there.

Thanks!

Michael H.

Balmung

Post by Balmung » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:06 am

Kanchou wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:47 pm
We're working on having more frequent and smaller releases. Considering that, what feature would you like most to be added with V1.0.5?
Have you decided if there is something in this list you want to implement for a quicker but smaller release? Because I think unless you pick one and close this thread, the list goes on and on.