related project: Procedural SVG feature generator - could use some help

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

FoaS

related project: Procedural SVG feature generator - could use some help

Post by FoaS » Fri May 21, 2021 10:40 pm

Hey folks,

This maybe off-topic, and if it is in the wrong place, I apologize - I figured perhaps a fellow devleoper might be lurking around and shine some line - I'll gladly re-post elsewhere if need be.

I'm currently working on a quick-n-dirty web-app that is intended to procedurally generate terrain feature icons in SVG format in hopes of creating feature assets. (just for the sake of bonafides and credential-establishment: I've recently made and a similar tool for generating arcane sigil magic circle thingies ).

I've been doing a lot of reading on Here Dragons Abound and I feel confident that I can implement something similar that would be of use to cartographers. However: one of the problems with SVG that I find myself continually banging my head against is the lack of variable width profiles for strokes. I've been trying to implement by own, but I'm finding bezier math is non-trivial (and don't get me started on the frustration that is SVG2.0 an it's current status...). Does anyone around have any kind of experience with implementing a "stroke expander" (creating a closed path from a stroke) with variable width?
Last edited by FoaS on Sat May 22, 2021 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nDervish

Re: related project: Procedural SVG feature generator - could use some help

Post by nDervish » Sat May 22, 2021 7:36 am

FYI, your "arcane sigil magic circle thingies" link is broken. Looks like you forgot the ".com" (...since it appears to work if I add one). https://www.thatrobhuman.com/arcanigen/

Balmung

Post by Balmung » Sat May 22, 2021 12:43 pm

• Is your app open or closed source?
  • Which license does your app use?
  • Do you have a budget or expect free work?
  • Which programming language is required?

FoaS

Post by FoaS » Sat May 22, 2021 3:41 pm

nDervish wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:36 am
FYI, your "arcane sigil magic circle thingies" link is broken. Looks like you forgot the ".com" (...since it appears to work if I add one). https://www.thatrobhuman.com/arcanigen/
d'oh! cheers.
Balmung wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 12:43 pm
  • Is your app open or closed source?
  • Which license does your app use?
  • Do you have a budget or expect free work?
  • Which programming language is required?
I'm not looking for programming help, I'm just looking for resources or pointers - literature, or an existing open source implementation I can digest, that kind of thing.

FoaS

Post by FoaS » Sun May 23, 2021 9:26 pm

Figured it out!

obviously nothing to write home about for now, but this was the biggest hurdle to feeling like this could be a viable thing.