Mac Beta Feedback

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

stefanstr

Re: Mac Beta Feedback

Post by stefanstr » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:43 am

Sorry for the multiple posts, I was trying to edit my original reply because the quotes came out wrong. And now I don't even know how to delete them. :roll:

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:46 am

stefanstr wrote:Sorry for the multiple posts, I was trying to edit my original reply because the quotes came out wrong. And now I don't even know how to delete them. :roll:
No problem! Didn't realize the forum had delete disabled for non-admins, will change that. And congrats on the family and extra responsibilities! :)

1. We'll add trackpad support hopefully with the next OSX beta coming out next week.

2. The save files will be compatible between versions (and eventually compatible with the Windows version).

3. Apple takes a 30% cut (they set the "standard"). I'm not sure about the "forced sales" that Steam does, but I hate the concept of middle men and centralization. So, it's partly a philosophical issue and partly not wanting to charge 30% more with no option of getting the Windows/Linux version.
Once we are out of Beta we'll try to get a sense of how many people aren't OK with downloading OWM directly from US.

I think the fact that we are a registered developer with Apple and digitally sign our installers should help...

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:30 am

Kanchou wrote: 1. We'll add trackpad support hopefully with the next OSX beta coming out next week.
Awesome. Count on me extensively testing it. I don't even have a mouse anymore. :D
3. Apple takes a 30% cut (they set the "standard"). I'm not sure about the "forced sales" that Steam does, but I hate the concept of middle men and centralization. So, it's partly a philosophical issue and partly not wanting to charge 30% more with no option of getting the Windows/Linux version.
Once we are out of Beta we'll try to get a sense of how many people aren't OK with downloading OWM directly from US.

I think the fact that we are a registered developer with Apple and digitally sign our installers should help...
Makes sense. I don't think it's that big of a deal. There are a lot of developers who don't want to go through the store for various reasons. Worst-case scenario, you might get emails from people who have Gatekeeper set to only accept App Store apps and can't run your program.

aotte

Post by aotte » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:37 pm

stefanstr wrote:
Kanchou wrote: 1. We'll add trackpad support hopefully with the next OSX beta coming out next week.
Awesome. Count on me extensively testing it. I don't even have a mouse anymore. :D
@Stefan: The two finger pan does seem to work on the map. Like you I'm looking forward to zoom and rotate to be there, as well as the delete and Command-Z keyboard shortcuts.

I concur with Stefan's comments on the dmg versus installer. I too am not afraid of installing from outside the store, although I would prefer the store if given the choice.

Looking forward to a new beta version and take it through its paces.
MacBookPro 13" w/ TouchBar on MacOs High Sierra 10.13.6
Intel Core i7 3.3 GHz (2 cores) RAM 16 GB

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:47 pm

Thank you for the feedback!

Beta 2 will also be the installer, but we'll do .dmg after that.

Also, we got in a Trackpad so taking a little extra for Beta 2 so we can add the gesture support.

Thank you!

-Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software