size of map

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

durwinfeanora

size of map

Post by durwinfeanora » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:59 am

what's the biggest size of map that we can create with other world?

To explain, I want to create a big map with high dpi qualities. I tried to do a custom made size but the other world mapper keep saying :

An integer between 500 and 9000 is required. Replaced with closest value. I did put my preset size to custom and then in inch. What I want is create a bigger document than a page because eventually I want to print the size of a wall with high quality.

What's the biggest size we can put?

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: size of map

Post by Kanchou » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:30 pm

durwinfeanora wrote:what's the biggest size of map that we can create with other world?

To explain, I want to create a big map with high dpi qualities. I tried to do a custom made size but the other world mapper keep saying :

An integer between 500 and 9000 is required. Replaced with closest value. I did put my preset size to custom and then in inch. What I want is create a bigger document than a page because eventually I want to print the size of a wall with high quality.

What's the biggest size we can put?
Hi,

The screen is telling you the min-max size in pixels always (We'll fix that with the next release so that it tells you the min/max for the unit you are using)

The maximum size right now is 9000 pixels by 9000 pixels, so depending on the DPI you choose it will give you the max size in print units (i.e. 30 inches for this case at 300 DPI). Keep in mind that most printers drop their max DPI as you get bigger paper/fabric/etc, so for instance printers for large banners typically print at less than 96 DPI. You want to look at the max DPI of the printer you are planning on using and use that.

In any case, the 9000 pixels are somewhat arbitrary. We have tested maps up to 20k by 20k and it works, but it also needs a lot of memory. Considering some of you have PC's with lots of RAM we'll open up that size with the next release and just have a warning that big maps take a lot of memory, etc.

Thank you!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software