Beta Release is Out + More

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

Kanchou
Site Admin

Beta Release is Out + More

Post by Kanchou » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:00 pm

For non alpha/beta backers, the Beta release is out and we are working on the dev log to go with it.

Questions/posts from either alpha/beta or non-alpha/beta backers is welcome !!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Dervish

Re: Beta Release is Out + More

Post by Dervish » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:44 am

How long will the beta test period last?

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:26 pm

Jordan,

That's difficult to answer exactly. Basically, we want to get to a point where the number of bugs is minimum and in particular where it's not frustrating to use Other World Mapper because of bugs or awkward UI. I believe we are close to that point with the overland tools (we did find some minor bugs already with the overland tools in Beta) and it will be a little longer to get issues out of the dungeon tools.

We'll talk about it more during the updates this month, but we are concentrating on finishing what's already there so we can make a release for everyone. That will include the basic Kickstarter goal, plus several of the stretch goals. We'll then add functionality of the later stretch goals with patches/updates.

An optimistic release date would be February, a pessimistic one would be March.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:35 am

If we are speaking of future plans: do you have any estimate for the Mac release?

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:43 am

Congratulations Three Minds Team!

Just wanted to give my congratulations to the team and thanks to the other alpha and beta testers. I'm excited to get into the beta releases and play around now. Even if I have to start over on my maps.. ;)

Thank You!
-Casey :ugeek:
unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:14 pm

unklStewy wrote:Congratulations Three Minds Team!

Just wanted to give my congratulations to the team and thanks to the other alpha and beta testers. I'm excited to get into the beta releases and play around now. Even if I have to start over on my maps.. ;)

Thank You!
Thank you!!

Note that we are close to having the stand alone alpha to beta map converter, so don't delete your alpha maps :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:26 pm

stefanstr wrote:If we are speaking of future plans: do you have any estimate for the Mac release?
I can't give you an estimate that I feel is honest, since there are too many variables involved. Mainly, since it was the last stretch goal it will be dependent on issues/slow downs with the other goals.
Since we developed our own engine for OWM we kept it as platform independent as we could. That will help cut the development time considerably and avoid the problem that kept other tools from supporting Mac/Linux.

I think once we are out of Windows Beta we should be able to give you a realistic estimate. Until them, we very much appreciate all the testing and feedback you've provided while working with the Windows release :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

unklStewy

Post by unklStewy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:37 am

Alejandro,

I forgot to mention that I did show Other World Mapper to a few MoatCon4 attendees in December and they were quite intrigued. I sent them to the website to signup for the forums. I don't know if anyone did but I tried.

unklStewy
Stewart A.
Wisterian Realms
www.wisterian.net

Big Mac

Post by Big Mac » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:32 am

Kanchou wrote:
stefanstr wrote:If we are speaking of future plans: do you have any estimate for the Mac release?
I can't give you an estimate that I feel is honest, since there are too many variables involved. Mainly, since it was the last stretch goal it will be dependent on issues/slow downs with the other goals.
Since we developed our own engine for OWM we kept it as platform independent as we could. That will help cut the development time considerably and avoid the problem that kept other tools from supporting Mac/Linux.

I think once we are out of Windows Beta we should be able to give you a realistic estimate. Until them, we very much appreciate all the testing and feedback you've provided while working with the Windows release :)

- Alejandro
I'm in no rush for the Mac version.

I'm even thinking of buying a PC, and using the PC version of OWM, while I work on a plan to rebuild and upgrade my Mac Laptop, so that I can get the best out of the Mac OS version of OWM.

(I've even been thinking about teaching myself to use Linux, as I've wanted to use Linux for about 10 years now.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums