Alpha version files standalone converter

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

Kanchou
Site Admin

Alpha version files standalone converter

Post by Kanchou » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:13 pm

A few of you contacted us about alpha to beta map conversion. We couldn't fit it into the beta because we were already behind schedule and needed to get a beta out for our backers to start trying. Not having compatibility across alpha/beta is pretty common for alpha and beta versions, but we understand some of you worked on complex maps.

As a compromise, we'll work on a way to convert alpha 3 to beta files (probably a stand alone .exe). We'll try to have something within the next two weeks. One note: converting the artwork (features/symbols) won't be possible because the artwork for alpha was placeholder artwork (as we stated before).

Hopefully this will work for most of you..thank you for your patience, please keep the feedback coming! :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Alpha version files, working on solution

Post by Kanchou » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:02 pm

Finished the converter tool:

http://www.otherworldmapper.com/beta/Alpha3ToBeta.exe

Let me know if you have any issues. I tried it with several of our alpha 3 maps, but if I missed something you'll likely just get a generic error message. If that happens, let me know (and if possible send your map my way so I can debug it).

The main things you will notice "wrong" with the file when you open with beta are:
1) Textures will be wrong (and disabled)
2) Features will be wrong (b/c we switched to the finished artwork

With the new way the feature tool works with Beta, you should be able to click on the features and select a new imagefor them (or you can delete the group from the layers window).

Hopefully this will help you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software