V1.0.1 is out!

Development feedback on user interface, features and general design.

Moderator: Kyete

User avatar
Kanchou
Site Admin
Posts: 758
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:23 pm

V1.0.1 is out!

Postby Kanchou » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:21 pm

Hello!

V1.0.1 is here! New features, bug fixes and of course, official Linux support! :)

More details in our blog: https://www.otherworldmapper.com/blog/n ... and-linux/

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

User avatar
Mark Oliva
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:38 am

Re: V1.0.1 is out!

Postby Mark Oliva » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:20 am

Great! How does one update?
Mark Oliva
The Vintyri™ Project
https://www.vintyri.org
info@vintyri.org

User avatar
Kanchou
Site Admin
Posts: 758
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Re: V1.0.1 is out!

Postby Kanchou » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:23 am

Mark Oliva wrote:Great! How does one update?


We send out emails with a new download link with each update, so you should have received one yesterday (sometimes they end up under spam). But you should also be able to download from your original purchase email download link.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Jones
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:15 am

Re: V1.0.1 is out!

Postby Jones » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:02 am

Thank you for the update!!

For the Layers windows, added the ability to drag multiple items and drag children between parents


YES!! :D

Any news on grouping/subtree features?

User avatar
Mark Oliva
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:38 am

Re: V1.0.1 is out!

Postby Mark Oliva » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:47 pm

The ability to drag children certainly does not work on the two computers with which I tried it with V1.0.1.

Servus,
Mark Oliva
The Vintyri™ Project
https://www.vintyri.org
info@vintyri.org

User avatar
Kanchou
Site Admin
Posts: 758
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Re: V1.0.1 is out!

Postby Kanchou » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:11 am

Mark Oliva wrote:The ability to drag children certainly does not work on the two computers with which I tried it with V1.0.1.

Servus,


Via the layers Window? That should be working.

Just via the map itself, it's only enabled for features and labels...planning to make it program wide with our next release.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

User avatar
Mark Oliva
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:38 am

Re: V1.0.1 is out!

Postby Mark Oliva » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:23 am

Kanchou wrote:Just via the map itself, it's only enabled for features and labels...planning to make it program wide with our next release.


OK. That clears that up. The release didn't make clear that it currently applies only to features and labels.

That said, I consider the current restrictiveness of the layer-child system to be the single weakest element of OWM. I've used various fantasy RPG cartographic products for 24 years now and made about 500 publicly-released maps. I have to emphasize that a program that keeps me, as a mapmaker, from being able to decide which objects are in front of and behind others, has a very serious shortcoming. That's unfortunate with OWM, because it's an incredibly impressive program in most other respects.

Servus,
Mark Oliva
The Vintyri™ Project
https://www.vintyri.org
info@vintyri.org

User avatar
Kanchou
Site Admin
Posts: 758
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Re: V1.0.1 is out!

Postby Kanchou » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:43 am

Mark Oliva wrote:That said, I consider the current restrictiveness of the layer-child system to be the single weakest element of OWM. I've used various fantasy RPG cartographic products for 24 years now and made about 500 publicly-released maps. I have to emphasize that a program that keeps me, as a mapmaker, from being able to decide which objects are in front of and behind others, has a very serious shortcoming. That's unfortunate with OWM, because it's an incredibly impressive program in most other respects.

Servus,


Really happy you like Other World Mapper aside from the layer limitations :)

The layer limitations are UI based only (and mostly because of the layer's window navigation), the 2D engine we created for OWM doesn't care. We're planning to add an "advanced mode" that would let you "unlock" to any layer order.

Hoping to have that later this year or early next.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Jones
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:15 am

Re: V1.0.1 is out!

Postby Jones » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:24 am

The Z-order within grouped features gets scrambled after dragging them :-(

EDIT: if you ungroup them before dragging the Z-order is kept. Strange bug. ;)
Last edited by Jones on Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mark Oliva
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:38 am

Re: V1.0.1 is out!

Postby Mark Oliva » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:37 am

Kanchou wrote:The layer limitations are UI based only (and mostly because of the layer's window navigation), the 2D engine we created for OWM doesn't care. We're planning to add an "advanced mode" that would let you "unlock" to any layer order.


Sounds good, as I wrote before. I'm in no hurry. Just for your info:

I decided to try out the layer shifting between Label and Feature. It also does nothing at all on either the main machine (Win 10 Pro) or the Laptop (Win 10 Home) excepting causing a crash (on both machines) after a few attempts. When it crashes, the mouse pointer turns into the pan tool hand and the program freezes. I have to use the task manager to close.

I was going to attach the two-object OWM map I made for the test, but apparently OWM attachments aren't allowed, because I get only the message Error when I try.

Servus,
Mark Oliva
The Vintyri™ Project
https://www.vintyri.org
info@vintyri.org