Feature Colorizing

Request small changes or additions in functionality.

Moderator: Kyete

Post Reply
Shimizu
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:38 pm

Feature Colorizing

Post by Shimizu » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:51 pm

Hey, first of all, i like this software a lot and I'm having lots of fun creating a map for my RPG campaign !
There is a lots of features, a way to configure almost anything, and it's amazing !

But... i noticed, while looking trough the "Features" you can add to the map (like mountains and such), that some of them are pure black and white (and transparent). I also noticed the "Colorize" option and i thought to myself : "Oh, that two things must be used together to get the colour you want for your features, neat ! I'll need that later."

And, a couple of days ago, i wanted to do just that, and to my surprise, it didn't work, it only changed the black part of the feature.
So after a bit of a test on an image editing software, i realised that this "Colorize" function was probably applying the colour selected in "Additive mode", which make the colour selected "replace" the darkest parts of the image in proportion to how dark it is (leaving white, always white).

So I'm asking if it would be possible to add another "Colorize" function that applies the colour selected in "Multiplicative mode", which would have the opposite effect (replacing lighter colours first and leaving black, black).
I think it would be a pretty easy function to add, and it would save so much time for people like me who want their hills (and mesas, and other things) to be the EXACT same colour as the ground :).

So thank you for reading this, i hope it's not to big of a thing to ask, and other than that, keep up the good work on OWM, the thing is awesome !

Edit : Maybe even just an option to switch between additive and multiplicative mode. It would probably be simpler to implement and works just as well.

User avatar
Kanchou
Site Admin
Posts: 772
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Re: Feature Colorizing

Post by Kanchou » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:54 pm

Shimizu wrote:Hey, first of all, i like this software a lot and I'm having lots of fun creating a map for my RPG campaign !
There is a lots of features, a way to configure almost anything, and it's amazing !
Thank you!! Really happy you are enjoying OWM! :)
Shimizu wrote: But... i noticed, while looking trough the "Features" you can add to the map (like mountains and such), that some of them are pure black and white (and transparent). I also noticed the "Colorize" option and i thought to myself : "Oh, that two things must be used together to get the colour you want for your features, neat ! I'll need that later."

And, a couple of days ago, i wanted to do just that, and to my surprise, it didn't work, it only changed the black part of the feature.
So after a bit of a test on an image editing software, i realised that this "Colorize" function was probably applying the colour selected in "Additive mode", which make the colour selected "replace" the darkest parts of the image in proportion to how dark it is (leaving white, always white).

So I'm asking if it would be possible to add another "Colorize" function that applies the colour selected in "Multiplicative mode", which would have the opposite effect (replacing lighter colours first and leaving black, black).
I think it would be a pretty easy function to add, and it would save so much time for people like me who want their hills (and mesas, and other things) to be the EXACT same colour as the ground :).

So thank you for reading this, i hope it's not to big of a thing to ask, and other than that, keep up the good work on OWM, the thing is awesome !

Edit : Maybe even just an option to switch between additive and multiplicative mode. It would probably be simpler to implement and works just as well.
That's a great point and great feedback, thank you!

Doing some tests with our current code, something like this:
Colorize.jpg
Colorize.jpg (205.56 KiB) Viewed 990 times
- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Shimizu
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:38 pm

Re: Feature Colorizing

Post by Shimizu » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:35 pm

Hey, thanks for the fast reply !

Yes that's exactly what i'm talking about ! (the blue one in particular, although i could also see use for the orange one)
It would be awesome if it was an option !

Thanks again for replying so quickly :).

User avatar
Kanchou
Site Admin
Posts: 772
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Re: Feature Colorizing

Post by Kanchou » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:27 am

Shimizu wrote:Hey, thanks for the fast reply !

Yes that's exactly what i'm talking about ! (the blue one in particular, although i could also see use for the orange one)
It would be awesome if it was an option !

Thanks again for replying so quickly :).
You are welcome! It should make it to our upcoming release.

The blue one was using the gray mountains, since they have more shades but it was the same algorithm for both.

Thank you again!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Shimizu
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:38 pm

Re: Feature Colorizing

Post by Shimizu » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:44 pm

Hey, Yeah i figured it the day after i posted but i forgot to edit my post ^^.
Seeing that the white features did not have any shadow, i was like "Oh wait !".

Two quick questions you don't have to answer but i'm curious about :
1 - Did you implement it as a switch or as an additional filter ? (as in : can you use both together or are you limited to one at a time ?)
2 - When (approximately) is the next version coming out ?

And thank YOU, for taking the time to answer my request, and for making such a cool app !
Image

User avatar
Kanchou
Site Admin
Posts: 772
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Re: Feature Colorizing

Post by Kanchou » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:18 pm

Thank you! All of you are breathtaking! :)
Shimizu wrote:
Two quick questions you don't have to answer but i'm curious about :
1 - Did you implement it as a switch or as an additional filter ? (as in : can you use both together or are you limited to one at a time ?)
2 - When (approximately) is the next version coming out ?
Implemented it as a pull down, but with 4 modes. Additive, Multi, overlay and alpha blend. Each with opacity control. I think alpha and overlay is close to having both.

The next release was close, but I went and got myself in the hospital for a few days :D. Thankfully I'm better and back to work, but that slowed down things for our small team. Still hoping to have it out before the end of the month.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

User avatar
Niidhogg
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:00 pm

Re: Feature Colorizing

Post by Niidhogg » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:11 am

No overlay in the current version ?

User avatar
Kanchou
Site Admin
Posts: 772
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Re: Feature Colorizing

Post by Kanchou » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:00 pm

Niidhogg wrote:No overlay in the current version ?
No, found a bug late into regression testing and we decided to postpone instead of delay the release. :(

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

User avatar
Niidhogg
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:00 pm

Re: Feature Colorizing

Post by Niidhogg » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:47 pm

Is it comming with the next update ?

User avatar
Kanchou
Site Admin
Posts: 772
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Re: Feature Colorizing

Post by Kanchou » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:46 pm

Niidhogg wrote:Is it comming with the next update ?
We are going to try, but it may not happen. Next update is going to be just a minor update fixing bugs and adding a couple of small features (but will happen sooner).

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Post Reply