Custom Layers

Request changes or additions in functionality.

Moderator: Kyete

SilverSurfer1221

Custom Layers

Post by SilverSurfer1221 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:39 pm

I am creating a map where I need to place several secret places that get revealed as PCs discover certain things. So, for example, they have a map with an oasis on it. After going to the oasis and solving what is there to solve, the map will then reveal a new location, etc., etc. To do this, I want to create what the completed map will look like when all is completed (everything on the map, nothing hidden). Then I will need to hide everything that is not initially seen, save/print out that map, then unhide the next item, save/print out that map, rinse and repeat.

The issue is that each item may consist of several map features (several buildings, vegetation, and plants). With Other World Mappers current layer system, it means I have to hunt through features to find them, rename them to make sense, and then hide them one by one. This is a bit of a PITA, as they say.

If I could create a custom layer, name it something that makes sense to me (like Reveal One) and place all associated features within it, then I could simply hide that layer/folder and all would be hidden.

Kyete
Site Moderator

Re: Custom Layers

Post by Kyete » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:27 pm

If you Group all the items together, then all the items will hide/show together. Hopefully that will make it a little less tedious.

We do have plans to make a DM tool that will have better options for hiding/showing things, fog of war, etc. We were going to be starting on it later this year, but with all the craziness going on it's probably going to be pushed back.

-Katie

SilverSurfer1221

Post by SilverSurfer1221 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:49 pm

Thanks! I don't know how I missed grouping before. It certainly does help. Having said that, grouping in OWM is odd compared to most programs. If you look at the Layers panel and don't have anything selected, then you cannot tell what is grouped just from looking. It's not until you click one of the grouped items to select it that the entire group is revealed (by highlighting all the other items in the group). In my opinion, it would be better if the group were placed in their own sub-folder (a folder/layer beneath the main parent) that could be named. Thus, I could name a folder something like, "City of Amber" or whatever and not even need to know what's in the folder, but could hide/reveal/select as needed. Also, having all grouped items in their own layer/folder would allow the end-user to drag other items into the folder to include them in the group (or drag items out to exclude them from the group).

The Layers panel is quite helpful, but it's not quite there, yet (imo). It should function more like most apps' layers panels do, like Photoshop, as an example.

Don't get me wrong. I really love OWM. I have Wonderdraft and Campaign Cartographer, but I prefer OWM over them both. So, anything I say that I'd like to see improved is only because I truly want to see OWM continue to get better and better. :)

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:44 pm

Sorry for the late reply. The layers items are currently shown in the order that the items are drawn on the map so that it's easier to see and change the z-order, so shifting the grouped items around might be confusing. It's a very good idea though and we could make another view that you could switch to that would only show grouped items. Do you think that would work for how you use the program?

Thank you for the feed back!
-Katie

SilverSurfer1221

Post by SilverSurfer1221 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:54 am

Sorry for MY late reply. I haven't been here in a bit.

Yes, I think that might work. As long as the new "view" allowed the end-user to select a group and move/hide/reveal it as a single unit. Also, it should allow the end-user to add or remove items from the group.

SilverSurfer1221

Post by SilverSurfer1221 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:55 am

Hello! Any idea if/when this might be implemented (see your previous post just before mine above)? Thanks. :)

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:10 pm

It got pushed back do to the craziness of last year, but it is still on our list! It's still in the investigation phase, so I'm not sure if it'll be out in V1.0.4, but we'll definitely have something for V1.0.5.

-Katie