Moving Layers Causes them to Appear in the Middle of the Map

Report new issues and add information on existing ones.

Moderator: Kyete

SilverSurfer1221

Moving Layers Causes them to Appear in the Middle of the Map

Post by SilverSurfer1221 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:42 pm

Hello.
I've got several dunes I've placed on my desert region, but three of the dozens somehow ended up in a different Features layer. No worries, right? All I needed to do was select them and drag them over to the correct Features layer and be done with it. Except, when I do that, instead of staying where they are on the actual map, they all get shifted to the center of the map, which is nowhere near where I had placed them. I wouldn't think that moving a layer in the Layers panel would relocate the feature.

SilverSurfer1221

Re: Moving Layers Causes them to Appear in the Middle of the Map

Post by SilverSurfer1221 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:57 pm

Now items moved to a new Feature layer relocate to the upper-left corner. So, not sure why they were relocating to the center previously. Even so, moving a layer should not cause the feature to relocate on the actual map.

Kyete
Site Moderator

Post by Kyete » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:12 pm

Are you moving the items to a new parent item? When items are moved to a new parent, they're either centered on the parent or (if they're moved to the Canvas) moved to the top-left of the map.

It could also be a bug with Feature placement, since it sounds like some of the Features ended up under different parents. What drawing mode were you using?

-Katie

SilverSurfer1221

Post by SilverSurfer1221 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:39 pm

All I know is that I ended up with two layers called Features for some reason. Part of my dunes (features) were in the second Features layer. There were three or four of them. So, I selected all of them and dragged them to the other Features layer that contained all the other dunes. When I did so, they appeared centered on the map (all of them clumped over the top of each other) instead of remaining where they were.

Yes, some of the features ended up under different parents. Not sure why.

What drawing mode? Are you asking how I was placing the dunes? It was by using a single click to place them with placement (in front, behind) set to Auto.

Sorry if I don't have the proper vocabulary down to describe all of this accurately. I just think that it shouldn't matter what is a parent layer or not, simply moving something to another parent should not change the placement, I would think.