Some comfort Ideas

Request changes or additions in functionality.

Moderator: Kyete

Seradest

Some comfort Ideas

Post by Seradest » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:22 am

First sorry for my bad english skills

Idea Nr.
1)
hmm ok first , the art manager is great but its lack of comfort.
we need to add an whole folder nut just the asset files one by one......... i buy an assets pack on an store and now i must add over 400 assets one by one :(

2)
the shadow option for landmasses,
a)pls add an drop shadow that has an option to select from where the light is shining
b) the drop and inner shadow need an option to make them from smooth to specific shades like the coast-shore.
Add this to Trees,mountains and cliffs would be nice

3)
when you paint landmasses free hand, and select the creation, you should add an shoreline effect after it so it has almost your shape you had make but looks natural on the outlines

4)
The outline need between an colour, size and opacity and style like the road-tool

5)
For grids you have snap to Center for assets, but there are assets that have an 256x384 box diameter because the mountains are so high that they are hide the asset in the background (hex assets) so when the snap in Center they are always placed wrong.
snap to the bottom would be nice for all kind of grids.
the assets i use looks like this:

6)
We can now colour Assets in different colour, but what we also need is an Gradient effect over the assets with max 5 colors ( as an example you can make an mountain that is white on the top "snow" light gray than dark grey than brown "dirt" and at last green "grass"

7)
an asset cutter you have an picture of an tree on grass-field but you only want the tree so you can cut it out with an tool and make an new asset out of the tree in the same process and program.

8)
an brush tool (i know its hard to make) that can light colour up or make them darker.
you can do this on individual assets or as an overlay on the whole map.

9)
for the future you need generators for generic structure like assets.
like Water,Clouds,everything that is in the "map decor". specially the things in map decor is something you see very unique in style and look
nearly no one want to use the same over and over but also find it hard to make new styles.

nDervish

Re: Some comfort Ideas

Post by nDervish » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:28 am

Seradest wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:22 am
3)
when you paint landmasses free hand, and select the creation, you should add an shoreline effect after it so it has almost your shape you had make but looks natural on the outlines

4)
The outline need between an colour, size and opacity and style like the road-tool
I can't say anything about the other points, but this is already there. At the bottom of the "Map" menu are a "Show Shorelines" toggle and "Shoreline Options..." dialog box. In the Shoreline Options, you can choose between five styles of shoreline effect and set line type, color, opacity, etc.

Seradest

Post by Seradest » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:51 am

nDervish wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:28 am
Seradest wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:22 am
3)

4)
I can't say anything about the other points, but this is already there. At the bottom of the "Map" menu are a "Show Shorelines" toggle and "Shoreline Options..." dialog box. In the Shoreline Options, you can choose between five styles of shoreline effect and set line type, color, opacity, etc.
dont you mean coastline because that an difference

nDervish

Post by nDervish » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:36 am

Seradest wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:51 am
nDervish wrote:
*shrug* The program calls the existing tool "shorelines", not "coastlines", so I'm not going to attempt to debate that distinction. I'm just a user here, not an OWM developer.

Have you looked at the existing shorelines tool and experimented with its options? If so, in what way is your requested shoreline effect different from what the existing tool does?

Seradest

Post by Seradest » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:24 pm

nDervish wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:36 am
Seradest wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:51 am
nDervish wrote:
*shrug* The program calls the existing tool "shorelines", not "coastlines", so I'm not going to attempt to debate that distinction. I'm just a user here, not an OWM developer.

Have you looked at the existing shorelines tool and experimented with its options? If so, in what way is your requested shoreline effect different from what the existing tool does?
When you use the "Landmass Tool" and make an "Landmass" you select it with "Box Select Tool".
Than on the right side of the Screen you the an option you can "check" and it calls "Outline" with 3 extra option in it
"Color" "Size" and "Opacity"
What we need here is an option for different "Styles" like we have it in "Road Tool"
And textures as an option but only for the "outline"
So you can make fake cliffs as an "outline" or an pencil style ,so its not look so clear.....

Seradest

Post by Seradest » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:05 am

So what are the devs thinking about my ideas ?????

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:16 pm

Seradest wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:05 am
So what are the devs thinking about my ideas ?????
I'll write back this weekend. Things have been kind of crazy - but at least we are almost finished with our next release! :D
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:50 pm

Thank you for the feedback! And sorry for the very late reply, this year has been pretty crazy.

1) We're improving the art manager with the next release, but even with the current one you should be able to import whole folders. You can also just do it manually by creating folders in the art resources directory. Here's a tutorial from the current version:
https://www.otherworldmapper.com/blog/t ... -tutorial/

2) Good idea, will do :)

3) Can you give us more detail on what you mean with this point? Thank you!

4) Good point, we'll add this.

5) That's a good point, we'll see if we can work it into OWM.

6) That's a really good idea, but I'm not sure we can get it in this year. We'll investigate more.

7) This makes sense, but would probably be outside the scope of OWM since there are other programs out there already made to manipulate images.

8) We've been thinking of adding something like this, we'll try to make it happen later this year.

9) Map generation is something we've stayed away from so far, mostly because we would want to do it right if we do it. We'd like to do something like this, but I don't know if we'll get to it in the near future.
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software