SVG support and Contour Following

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

wip1968

SVG support and Contour Following

Post by wip1968 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:05 am

Hello, I'm currently evaluating Other World Mapper and I have two questions:

1. I'm trying to import SVG maps created from https://azgaar.github.io/Fantasy-Map-Generator/ They import as a mess of lines and unnamed objects/layers. However, using a web browser, the SVG map appears fine. What level of SVG support is provided by OWM?

2. I created a landmass. Then I created a region in the landmass object, with the "Following Contour" along the coast (this is a fantastic feature, by the way!) However, once I finished the region, is there a way for me to update/modify the region to continue to "Follow Contour"? In the example below, I want to move the lower region point to the coast, and have the segment follow the contour, rather than having to zoom in and move individual nodes.
OtherWorldMapper.jpg
OtherWorldMapper.jpg (46.02 KiB) Viewed 10345 times

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: SVG support and Contour Following

Post by Kanchou » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:09 pm

wip1968 wrote:Hello, I'm currently evaluating Other World Mapper and I have two questions:

1. I'm trying to import SVG maps created from https://azgaar.github.io/Fantasy-Map-Generator/ They import as a mess of lines and unnamed objects/layers. However, using a web browser, the SVG map appears fine. What level of SVG support is provided by OWM?

2. I created a landmass. Then I created a region in the landmass object, with the "Following Contour" along the coast (this is a fantastic feature, by the way!) However, once I finished the region, is there a way for me to update/modify the region to continue to "Follow Contour"? In the example below, I want to move the lower region point to the coast, and have the segment follow the contour, rather than having to zoom in and move individual nodes.

OtherWorldMapper.jpg
Hello and thank you for the questions!

1. OWM supports the importing of paths from svg files (but not fills, stroke widths, etc). When you import an svg file you have to selected each object/layer and tell it what type of item it is in the import window.
I tried with a file from the generator and it seems to name rivers and roads as such (so we could make OWM default to that type of item based on the name), but landmasses don't seem to have a name at all, hence they show up blank on the list. It also has coastlines and other objects that don't seem to have any naming in the file created.

The svg created also seems to have object types grouped together, but that's not generic svg behavior so it's not something we can assume.

When you open the svg with a viewer it doesn't care what the item names are because it's simple rendering the paths.

If the generator export were updated to also name landmasses, coastlines, etc. it would make it easier when you are selecting the item types (and we could potentially update OWM to default to the type of item based on the name).

2. Follow right now only works when drawing the item initially, but you can draw another region with the new following and then merge the two into one via Merge-->union. Not exactly what you wanted to do, but should give you the same result with a little more work.

Let me know if this makes sense or if you have any other questions!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

wip1968

Post by wip1968 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:16 pm

1. OWM supports the importing of paths from svg files (but not fills, stroke widths, etc). When you import an svg file you have to selected each object/layer and tell it what type of item it is in the import window.
I tried with a file from the generator and it seems to name rivers and roads as such (so we could make OWM default to that type of item based on the name), but landmasses don't seem to have a name at all, hence they show up blank on the list. It also has coastlines and other objects that don't seem to have any naming in the file created.

The svg created also seems to have object types grouped together, but that's not generic svg behavior so it's not something we can assume.

When you open the svg with a viewer it doesn't care what the item names are because it's simple rendering the paths.

If the generator export were updated to also name landmasses, coastlines, etc. it would make it easier when you are selecting the item types (and we could potentially update OWM to default to the type of item based on the name).
Ok, thanks for the explanation. I tested by modifying some of the .SVG files, removing many of the unnecessary objects , and to add IDs to the items I wanted to import, and OWM seems to import reasonably well. It's a bit of manual work, but at least I have a means to get the outlines in.
2. Follow right now only works when drawing the item initially, but you can draw another region with the new following and then merge the two into one via Merge-->union. Not exactly what you wanted to do, but should give you the same result with a little more work.
A bit clunky, but it's better than nothing. I hope future development can include Follow Contour for existing objects.
Let me know if this makes sense or if you have any other questions!!

- Alejandro
Great product though. The more I test the demo, the more I'm drawn to it, so I will likely buy soon once I complete more tests. But the support is great! Thank you!

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:51 pm

wip1968 wrote: Great product though. The more I test the demo, the more I'm drawn to it, so I will likely buy soon once I complete more tests. But the support is great! Thank you!
Very happy to hear!! :)

If you have any other requests or feedback for improvements (whether you buy OWM or not) please let us know! We keep a running list of requested functionality and make frequent releases incorporating them.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

wip1968

Post by wip1968 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:35 pm

Another question about SVG support from 3rd parties such as Azgaar.

From the mapping site, I downloaded a .SVG file. I used a text editor and copied out the elements for Rivers and Landmasses. For the landmasses, I manually added ID labels. Is there any way to group assign objects? Currently, I have to manually select each river object from the SVG (left side) and assign it to the Import This Path > Overland Items > River. Having to do this for 179 rivers is tedious!
SVGImport.jpg
SVGImport.jpg (45.51 KiB) Viewed 10331 times
Okay, now I have the SVG imported. I see my landmasses (actually regions/countries) which I can merge to create a single continent. however, the import separates the Landmasses from the Rivers as the left panel shows. When I draw a river - the red highlighted object - I can associate the river to a landmass. Is there any way I can associate the imported rivers to an existing landmass? I tried drag-and-drop, or cut-and-paste, but they don't seem to allow me to associate the imported rivers to imported landmasses.
SVGRiver.jpg
SVGRiver.jpg (97.65 KiB) Viewed 10331 times

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:06 pm

On the first part, we'll add the ability to select multiple items to set their types. That should help.

We'll also add defaulting if it finds the word river/road/etc. It would only work in English, but it would be a start.

Looking into the second part shortly.

Thank you!
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:33 pm

I'm really interested in moving an Azgaar map to OWM. I'm glad to see the SVG support, though it does sound not-that-straightforward getting the elements in the proper places.

I can figure it out with time, but if anyone has already walked down this road and can lend a hand, I have a couple $25 Amazon gift cards in thanks.

Thank you!