Map Thatching (for lack of a better phrase)

Request changes or additions in functionality.

Moderator: Kyete

IronConrad

Map Thatching (for lack of a better phrase)

Post by IronConrad » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:41 pm

A number of web sites have shown how to "Thatch" the area in an dungeon map where the rooms and hallways are not.

It's a nice effect for one's eye.

I think you even have an example on this site (in the maps that you made before OWM).

It's a bit of work by hand ... but ... computer = easy?

Rather than a full page of shading, just shading around the rooms is a nice effect.

IronConrad

Re: Map Thatching (for lack of a better phrase)

Post by IronConrad » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:26 am

This was the post that had the thatching:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25#p291

IronConrad

Post by IronConrad » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:38 am

More Thatching examples:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsxGDVjje7d/

Need trick to focus attention.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:27 am

That would be a nice effect to give a "hand drawn" feel to the map. How about thatched textures that you could apply to a map object?

That would be the easiest way for us to implement it.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

IronConrad

Post by IronConrad » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:36 am

The only issue would be it would need to be on top of the canvas but below the rooms, halls, and text.

With thick hand drawn borders, it would be an interesting style.

nDervish

Post by nDervish » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:47 am

Kanchou wrote:That would be a nice effect to give a "hand drawn" feel to the map. How about thatched textures that you could apply to a map object?
My preferred variation on this kind of hatching is for it to start at the border of an object and extend some distance from the edge rather than being a complete background fill, so conceptually (and probably similar in implementation to!) OWM's existing feature to draw water ripples out from a shoreline. So that would be attached to a map object, but as a characteristic of lines on the existing object rather than a new map object itself.

An example of the style I'm thinking of (or, really, do an image search for just about any Dyson Logos map):Image

Specifically, I mean to point out the empty, unhatched areas where there aren't any immediately-adjacent rooms.

IronConrad

Post by IronConrad » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:57 am

As the kids on the Internet say, spot on.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:51 am

nDervish wrote:
Kanchou wrote:That would be a nice effect to give a "hand drawn" feel to the map. How about thatched textures that you could apply to a map object?
My preferred variation on this kind of hatching is for it to start at the border of an object and extend some distance from the edge rather than being a complete background fill, so conceptually (and probably similar in implementation to!) OWM's existing feature to draw water ripples out from a shoreline. So that would be attached to a map object, but as a characteristic of lines on the existing object rather than a new map object itself.

An example of the style I'm thinking of (or, really, do an image search for just about any Dyson Logos map):Image

Specifically, I mean to point out the empty, unhatched areas where there aren't any immediately-adjacent rooms.
That's a good idea. Doing it like that we could recycle a lot of existing code...

Thank you!
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software