Finally got Other World Mapper onto my map computer :-)

Questions and comments about Other World Mapper.

Moderator: Kanchou

Big Mac

Finally got Other World Mapper onto my map computer :-)

Post by Big Mac » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:37 pm

I finally got my desktop mapping machine (a duel-boot PC/Mac) mostly set up and have installed Other World Mapper on the PC drive.

So I've now got OWM on a Mac laptop that didn't exist when I backed the Kickstarter and half installed on a desktop that also didn't exist when I backed the Kickstarter.

I've been a bit out of the loop.

Is there any catch-up advice that anyone has for me?

(For examples, are there any tutorials or videos up now that didn't exist in the past?)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums

Sturn

Re: Finally got Other World Mapper onto my map computer :-)

Post by Sturn » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:35 am

I'm not sure what was available at launch. The documentation that I got with the program answers most questions I've had. I'm guildy of coming here to ask only to find my answer in the official help documents.

There are some youtube videos also, but if you've used OWM before the last I checked they are more introductory snippets.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:26 am

What Sturn said (thank you! :) ). The help document from the Help menu has a pretty good overview of the program.

In addition, we do have a few written tutorials on our website:
https://www.otherworldmapper.com/blog/c ... tutorials/

After V0.9.5 is out, our number one priority is video tutorials and written tutorials.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Captain_Urthang

Post by Captain_Urthang » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:04 pm

Since I'm not allowed to post in Bug Report section, have to do it here.

Under OSX OWM is quite unstable and crashes regularly. It may be "undo", "save selection" or even simple save.

While drawing big landmasses it still quite cumbersome to draw a piece of a continent, not an "isle". Drawing area tends to jump to left or right edge of a big map.

Features - mountains, vegetation, structures - are all in different "scale ranges", so some of them have to be placed at 100% size, some 20, some 30 etc. There is no uniformity across sets.

Texts written in non-Latin characters after save/load are turning into unreadable symbols.

I'll try Windows version also.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:20 am

Captain_Urthang wrote:Since I'm not allowed to post in Bug Report section, have to do it here.

Under OSX OWM is quite unstable and crashes regularly. It may be "undo", "save selection" or even simple save.

While drawing big landmasses it still quite cumbersome to draw a piece of a continent, not an "isle". Drawing area tends to jump to left or right edge of a big map.

Features - mountains, vegetation, structures - are all in different "scale ranges", so some of them have to be placed at 100% size, some 20, some 30 etc. There is no uniformity across sets.

Texts written in non-Latin characters after save/load are turning into unreadable symbols.

I'll try Windows version also.
I fixed your forum permissions for the future :)

1. The next release will fix most of the current OSX issues.

2. Will look into the jumping, I think it's an OSX issue.

3. The scales of the features should be consistent between the sets that go together. For instance, the basic terrain and expansion terrain, as well as basic fantasy were all created to be on the same scale.
The dungeon/battlemap/overhead artwork is on a different scale to match that style.

4. Will investigate. Once again, I think it's an OSX issue.

If you get to try the Windows version please let us know how it goes. I think most of the issues you encountered were from the OSX Beta.

Thank you for the feedback!! Please post with any other issues/feedback.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software