OSX Issues

Archive of resolved issues and feature additions completed.

Moderator: Kyete

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: OSX Issues

Post by Kanchou » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:03 pm

As always late, but it's now released :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

aotte

Post by aotte » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:55 pm

Kanchou wrote:As always late, but it's now released :)
An excellent update with significant improvements. I am a happy camper.

First observations:
  • Way snappier response times (highly, highly enjoyable)
  • Labels work
  • Distance measurement works
  • Travel route, works (had one crash when tweaking Bezier curves on a world-spanning route, cannot replicate)
  • Railroads now save to OWM file
  • No screen flips witnessed anymore
  • No spinning wheel on Feature tool
  • Pinch zoom works
  • Command-Z works
  • All this with BetterTouch Tool turned on
  • Manually entering a number in zoom % not yet accepted
Current main wish is a better response of mouse positioning over items at different zoom levels. It feels that the further out you zoom the more sensitive placement becomes. It feels like the strike zone for an item should be bigger. This is especially noticeable when editing points on long routes or drawing long boundaries.

Sombrero off to the Three Amigos of Three Minds.
MacBookPro 13" w/ TouchBar on MacOs High Sierra 10.13.6
Intel Core i7 3.3 GHz (2 cores) RAM 16 GB

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:47 pm

aotte wrote:An excellent update with significant improvements. I am a happy camper.
Extremely happy to hear that!! :)
aotte wrote: [*] Manually entering a number in zoom % not yet accepted
Will fix, ty!!
aotte wrote: Current main wish is a better response of mouse positioning over items at different zoom levels. It feels that the further out you zoom the more sensitive placement becomes. It feels like the strike zone for an item should be bigger. This is especially noticeable when editing points on long routes or drawing long boundaries.
Will investigate. We've had ongoing issues on Windows too for this that I think are all fixed.
aotte wrote: Sombrero off to the Three Amigos of Three Minds.
Thank you!! All 3 of us appreciate it! :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

aotte

Post by aotte » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:15 pm

OK, a few more bugs I found and one pet peeve:
Features-AlongPath-FillPath.png
Features-AlongPath-FillPath.png (202.12 KiB) Viewed 13492 times
Bugs:
  • Feature tool droppings on canvas
  • Long Path and Fill Path feature tools do not honor transparency of the feature
  • Canvas texture setting is not restored in display after opening file, the file does keep the value and the dialog shows it properly, the display simple goes to solid color only
  • Maybe not a bug, or related to the above, but any travel path that starts out on a landmass, but crosses the canvas to get to another part of the same landmass does not display the sections that cross the canvas.
  • Feature lists are still not sorted
Peeve:
Why is it that with every object I create it is deselected just after I created it. I create it, go and tweak some settings, only to find out that those tweaks will only apply on the next one I draw. Aaarghh. I would love to have what I just created be the thing that is currently selected. In my brain that makes total sense.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:31 am

aotte wrote:OK, a few more bugs I found and one pet peeve:
Thank you for the feedback!!
aotte wrote: [*]Feature tool droppings on canvas
Not sure what you mean?
aotte wrote: [*]Long Path and Fill Path feature tools do not honor transparency of the feature
This is a known issue that we are working to resolve. It's the rasterizer we use in OSX doing it.
aotte wrote: [*]Canvas texture setting is not restored in display after opening file, the file does keep the value and the dialog shows it properly, the display simple goes to solid color only
Will fix.
aotte wrote: [*]Maybe not a bug, or related to the above, but any travel path that starts out on a landmass, but crosses the canvas to get to another part of the same landmass does not display the sections that cross the canvas.
Yes, it's by design objects get clipped outside the landmass they belong to. What you can do is copy/paste the travel path outside the landmass and it will overlap it. We'll look into this though, seens it seems for travel paths we shouldn't clip them.
aotte wrote: [*]Feature lists are still not sorted[/list]
This is odd. I don't seem to have that problem in our test systems.
aotte wrote: Peeve:
Why is it that with every object I create it is deselected just after I created it. I create it, go and tweak some settings, only to find out that those tweaks will only apply on the next one I draw. Aaarghh. I would love to have what I just created be the thing that is currently selected. In my brain that makes total sense.
Around 15% percent of our users agree with you and the rest disagree :D. We probably should have is as a possible setting to auto select last item. Question: Would you want that just for drawn items? Seems having that for features would be annoying rather than helpful? Let us know and we'll try to add it.

Thank you again!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

aotte

Post by aotte » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:26 pm

Kanchou wrote:
aotte wrote: Feature tool droppings on canvas
Not sure what you mean?
If you place a feature on a landmass so that the landmass is the parent and let the Feature peek over the landmass on top of the canvas, deleting the feature leaves dropping on the canvas.
LandmassFeatureDroppingsOnCanvasAfterDelete.png
LandmassFeatureDroppingsOnCanvasAfterDelete.png (10.36 KiB) Viewed 13451 times
Kanchou wrote:
aotte wrote: Maybe not a bug, or related to the above, but any travel path that starts out on a landmass, but crosses the canvas to get to another part of the same landmass does not display the sections that cross the canvas.
Yes, it's by design objects get clipped outside the landmass they belong to. What you can do is copy/paste the travel path outside the landmass and it will overlap it. We'll look into this though, seens it seems for travel paths we shouldn't clip them.
What I currently do is start the travel route on the canvas and then go from there, but that feels like a workaround. I like your idea. Maybe make it a setting in the options of the travel route item. [x] Display route on parent only
Kanchou wrote:
aotte wrote: Feature lists are still not sorted
This is odd. I don't seem to have that problem in our test systems.
Well, some are and some aren't for me:
UnsortedFeatureLists1.png
UnsortedFeatureLists1.png (73.64 KiB) Viewed 13451 times
UnsortedFeatureLists2.png
UnsortedFeatureLists2.png (76.75 KiB) Viewed 13451 times
Kanchou wrote:
aotte wrote: Peeve:
Around 15% percent of our users agree with you and the rest disagree :D. We probably should have is as a possible setting to auto select last item. Question: Would you want that just for drawn items? Seems having that for features would be annoying rather than helpful? Let us know and we'll try to add it.
Of course, I would land in the 15% :) I would love a Preferences setting for that. Although I put the distinction between items that get drawn with multiple steps before I can see the effect or a single click. E.g. stamping a single feature down? Sure, I can see that having it selected would be come annoying when building a mountain range by hand. But if I was to use the Feature|Along Path tool, I would want it to be selected after I am done. This way I can adjust its points or fill path options, now that I can see what the effect is of my original selections.

Arnoud.

stefanstr

Post by stefanstr » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:36 pm

Ok, I'm super happy we have you, aotte. I'm super bad at catching bugs, it seems, and I also haven't had much time to play around with OWM recently.

aotte

Post by aotte » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:15 pm

stefanstr wrote:Ok, I'm super happy we have you, aotte. I'm super bad at catching bugs, it seems, and I also haven't had much time to play around with OWM recently.
Happy to help stefanstr.

If we don't tell the Three Minds, they cannot fix it. Unless they go digging deeper themselves, which our Unix compadres will not appreciate. ;)

Arnoud

GrimPWG

Post by GrimPWG » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:05 pm

Loving it so far.

A few OSX issues:

Undo Crashes!
The second you press undo or use the shortcut key, the software crashes immediately.

Doesn't Save Water Background
When I reload a map, it forgets the colour of the background, so I always have to reset the water's colour/texture

Colligate is... Weird
I assume this isn't the intended behaviour. if I choose to colligate several features together (so I don't have loads of mountains or trees on my features lists), it becomes incredibly blocky, filled with white boxes :s Is this a bug or am I using the wrong function to combine many map features into a single object?
Colligation
Colligation
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 17.02.18.jpg (226.06 KiB) Viewed 13349 times
Zoom
If I use the scroll bars on the edge and drag anywhere, it immediately autozooms back to the top of the screen.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:10 pm

GrimPWG wrote:Loving it so far.
A few OSX issues:
Glad to hear! And thank you for the feedback!!
GrimPWG wrote: Undo Crashes!
The second you press undo or use the shortcut key, the software crashes immediately.
That's really odd. Is that with any map, even a simple one with just one or two items? Undo/redo causes a crash in the demo, but it should be working for the full version.
GrimPWG wrote: Doesn't Save Water Background
When I reload a map, it forgets the colour of the background, so I always have to reset the water's colour/texture
Will fix. Thank you!
GrimPWG wrote: Colligate is... Weird
I assume this isn't the intended behaviour. if I choose to colligate several features together (so I don't have loads of mountains or trees on my features lists), it becomes incredibly blocky, filled with white boxes :s Is this a bug or am I using the wrong function to combine many map features into a single object?
It's a known issue. Something odd with the raster library in OSX. We're working to fix.
GrimPWG wrote: Zoom
If I use the scroll bars on the edge and drag anywhere, it immediately autozooms back to the top of the screen.
Noted. Thank you!
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software