Settings for maps to be scaled for minis

General discussion on mapping.

Moderator: Kyete

hizeru

Settings for maps to be scaled for minis

Post by hizeru » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:03 pm

So I'm having some trouble getting the scale right so that the maps i'm building will be sized right for there grid to match the size of minis. I set the width and height to the correct number to fit my map but it ended up being hundreds of time bigger, likely cause I need to reset the scale but I can't figure out what it wants for scale or how to set that correctly.

I'm trying to create a map that lines up with the standard one inch to five feet. I assumed that was what the grid was set to because that's logical, but when I brought up the ruler in inches my first map was barely 10 inches wide.

I just need to know what to set all those starting settings toso I'll be able to print my maps and have minis fit on them.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Settings for maps to be scaled for minis

Post by Kanchou » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:17 pm

hizeru wrote:So I'm having some trouble getting the scale right so that the maps i'm building will be sized right for there grid to match the size of minis. I set the width and height to the correct number to fit my map but it ended up being hundreds of time bigger, likely cause I need to reset the scale but I can't figure out what it wants for scale or how to set that correctly.

I'm trying to create a map that lines up with the standard one inch to five feet. I assumed that was what the grid was set to because that's logical, but when I brought up the ruler in inches my first map was barely 10 inches wide.

I just need to know what to set all those starting settings toso I'll be able to print my maps and have minis fit on them.
Sorry for the delay replying!! We are going to add templates and a New Map Walk through to help with this.

For now, the main issue is that all the units are in pixels in the program (i.e. for the grids). So what you want to do is the following:

1) Look at the resolution of your map in the "Map Setup" window (default is 300 px/in).
2) In the example above, (300 px/in) it means that anything you want to be 1 in, needs to be set to to 300 px.
3) For the grid, you would want a grid with 300 px of horizontal and vertical spacing.

Let us know if this helps and let us know of any changes that would make it easier for setting up a map for minis.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

hizeru

Post by hizeru » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:11 pm

So I think I've set it correctly now though the grid is 3 by 3 for 1 inch. Is that something I adjusted incorrectly. Its set the grid at 100x 100px I guess. I'll keep fiddling with it.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:27 pm

hizeru wrote:So I think I've set it correctly now though the grid is 3 by 3 for 1 inch. Is that something I adjusted incorrectly. Its set the grid at 100x 100px I guess. I'll keep fiddling with it.
it should be 300x300 for 1inch. Please let us know as you get it setup and if you need any more help. Will be using the feedback for the tutorial and version changes.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software