Mapping Pliocene Europe

General discussion on mapping.

Moderator: Kyete

timmypaddins

Mapping Pliocene Europe

Post by timmypaddins » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:13 am

Hi guys

I want to recreate a map of Europe and then modify it.

I had thought to get a high res map of Europe, lay a 50x50 grid over it, set up a map in OWM, with a 50x50 grid, and then start recreating.

Having recreated the map in OWM, I hope to adjust the coastline to seal off the Mediterranean at Gibraltar, and reduce the sea level in the Mediterranean to a shallow lagoon. I would also reduce/modify the sea level around the coast of France and the UK, so the UK was landlocked with the rest of Europe.

My goal is to recreate a full map of Pliocene Europe, as shown in the Julian May books, The Pliocene Saga.

I guess my question is, what is really the best way to go about this in OWM.

Advice is welcome.

Cheers

Padster

nDervish

Re: Mapping Pliocene Europe

Post by nDervish » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:35 am

timmypaddins wrote: I had thought to get a high res map of Europe, lay a 50x50 grid over it, set up a map in OWM, with a 50x50 grid, and then start recreating.
You can skip the grids entirely if you scale your map of Europe to an appropriate size (i.e., one which gives you a map that will fit into your computer's memory) and then load it in as a background to the OWM map, which will then allow you to trace directly on top of it.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Mapping Pliocene Europe

Post by Kanchou » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:34 pm

You can also import real cartography data for Europe if you want to try that, then edit it :)

We made a tutorial a while back

https://www.otherworldmapper.com/blog/t ... -data-shp/

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software