Political maps

General discussion on mapping.

Moderator: Kyete

sharez66

Political maps

Post by sharez66 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:44 pm

I would appreciate and tips/advise on how to best create a political map with this software. Using the 4 colour map rule, is the an easy way to colour right up to other borders and coastlines without having to painstakingly draw in the fine detail of the edges?

nDervish

Re: Political maps

Post by nDervish » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:40 am

If you click directly on the edge of a landmass/region/etc., you should get a tooltip saying something like "start following edge". Then click further down that same edge to continue following it, or on another (connected) edge to follow the one onto the other. (I haven't used this feature recently and there used to be some issues with getting it to perfectly follow the transition from one edge onto another, but it's been some months since I reported that, so there's a good chance it's been fixed by now.)

To stop following existing edges and create a new one, just click somewhere that's not on an edge and it will behave normally.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:33 pm

nDervish wrote:If you click directly on the edge of a landmass/region/etc., you should get a tooltip saying something like "start following edge". Then click further down that same edge to continue following it, or on another (connected) edge to follow the one onto the other. (I haven't used this feature recently and there used to be some issues with getting it to perfectly follow the transition from one edge onto another, but it's been some months since I reported that, so there's a good chance it's been fixed by now.)

To stop following existing edges and create a new one, just click somewhere that's not on an edge and it will behave normally.
Thank you! Exactly the way you want to do it.

If either of you come across any issues with the following mode in the current release let us know.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

sharez66

Post by sharez66 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:30 am

Many thanks guys. Will give this a try and get back to you.

sharez66

Post by sharez66 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:39 am

Yes it worked, well after I worked out that you need to select border first :lol:

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:51 pm

sharez66 wrote:Yes it worked, well after I worked out that you need to select border first :lol:
Awesome! Make sure to ask if you have any other questions :)

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software