How to use the transform tool on a group?

General discussion on mapping.

Moderator: Kyete

Doomhark

How to use the transform tool on a group?

Post by Doomhark » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:03 am

Hi,
I've been using OWM for a few weeks now, making a larger world map. One of the ideas I had was to make the countries on seperate maps and then import them to the world map and scaling them to size, however I could not find a way to scale items while they are grouped together. Is there a way to do this which I cannot find?

Sturn

Re: How to use the transform tool on a group?

Post by Sturn » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:47 am

Unless I'm misunderstanding, I experimented and it seems you CAN do this with the Transform tool.

I've been able to group several items of different types of objects together. Then, I was able to use the Transform tool to move the group around or grab one of its corners and reduce or enlarge its size. If you are worried about skewing when altering the size, you can even click a "Lock Proportions" button in the toolbar.

I also tried copying and pasting from one map to the other to see if that is the problem. It worked fine. I copied a group of varying objects to a second map and was still able to move and resize the group in the new map.

SOLUTIONS?: Close the program and restart and see if it will work? Try it on a different group of objects and see if it works with them?

My last thought, is there an object within the group that can't be scaled? I don't recall if there is an object class that can't be scaled. But, if there is, perhaps your group has such included and it's preventing the scaling?

Doomhark

Post by Doomhark » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:50 am

After grouping them I can move them together, however I can't grab one of its corners and reduce or enlarge its size, as you said you were able to, which is what I want to do.

All of the objects can be scaled while not grouped up, so no problem there. I tried creating a new map from scratch and grouping up object and then scale, still not working.

Restarting doesn't help either, the problem persist, I also checked if I had an older version, but it is up to date.

andyskinner

Post by andyskinner » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:42 pm

I saw the same thing, with groups of features (hills, etc).

andy

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:35 pm

The current version has a limitation when it comes to scaling of groups that contain features (the corner handles aren't available). And if you select an transform entire landmass children will scale, but features won't.

We're making changes for the next release where you'll have the option to "paste with options" when you copy across files where you could select scale options for the paste (i.e. scale properties such as width, etc). At the very least we'll enable the ability to scale groups that contain features.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Doomhark

Post by Doomhark » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:39 pm

That's great to hear, then I can continue creating country maps while I wait for the next version :D, any ETA for the update?

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:16 pm

Doomhark wrote:That's great to hear, then I can continue creating country maps while I wait for the next version :D, any ETA for the update?
Aiming for late August or early September. We're doing two things in parallel, adding more functionality and bringing the OSX Beta in line with the Windows version.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software