Some questions about tools and so...

General discussion on mapping.

Moderator: Kyete

EmmaC

Some questions about tools and so...

Post by EmmaC » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:52 am

Hi there,

first, let me tell you that I love your software. I hesitated for a long time before choosing one mapping software and I decided to take my chance with OWM ( I choose you pokemon style).
So I am trying to create my first map, experimenting along the way (oh and sorry if some of my words or grammar are wrong, I'm not an english speaker).

I am trying to create a 'realistic' (in a fantasy context) map and so I would like to use some geographical maps as references, or even use some capture from the Google Earth program to have a realistic description of fjords and mountains for example. Or I couldn't open any maps or images from other software or even paste a capture.
Is this possible? What am I doing wrong? (because right now, I suppose it's me :p )

While playing around with the landmass tool, I wanted to correct the fractal value after having finish drawing the landmass. I couldn't. Even when selecting the entire landmass. I can neither change the fractal between points or for the entire landmass.
Is this possible? Or is it only possible while drawing the landmass?

I also tried to add point to my landmass after drawing. I noticed a coastline I didn't like and wanted to change it but moving the only point I have there was changing too much of the other part of the line... Is it possible to add points once the landmass is closed?

scale: when using the setup, I am stuck with this miles vers pixel, I changed it for km versus cm but, I have no visual references afterward.
If I use the Measure tool It gives me an idea of the distance but, without that I have no references to know... how high my mountain is when I put it on the map... any suggestion for that?

*another question on the scale system and map set-up* i tried to change my scale in the set-up tools while my map was open and it erase my background, could it be possible to do modification on the set-up without having the whole map changed? Plus, when I am trying to change my scale from 1 km=1 cm to 10 km=1 cm,when using the measuring tool it does not register. Help?

Finally, I've read that we can import features: how can I do that?

Thanks again for your help and... sorry about that but I will certainly have other questions in the future.
Oh and I greatly appreciate that we can come here and ask questions. Thank a bunch!

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Some questions about tools and so...

Post by Kanchou » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:29 am

(Promise to reply later today :). We've been under "OSX Release Hell" and haven't had a chance to do much of anything but working on it! We just finished, so tomorrow I'll reply to your questions and feedback! :) )
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:02 pm

EmmaC wrote: first, let me tell you that I love your software. I hesitated for a long time before choosing one mapping software and I decided to take my chance with OWM ( I choose you pokemon style).
Glad you went with us! :) Thank you for supporting us and the feedback and questions! We're always adding new functionality from the feedback we get.

Answers to the first questions:
EmmaC wrote: So I am trying to create my first map, experimenting along the way (oh and sorry if some of my words or grammar are wrong, I'm not an english speaker).
Please don't apologize! English is also my second language (plus your English is fine).
EmmaC wrote: I am trying to create a 'realistic' (in a fantasy context) map and so I would like to use some geographical maps as references, or even use some capture from the Google Earth program to have a realistic description of fjords and mountains for example. Or I couldn't open any maps or images from other software or even paste a capture.
Is this possible? What am I doing wrong? (because right now, I suppose it's me :p )
The simplest way to this is to set the image you want to use as reference as the Canvas's background. There is a description in chapter 19 of the help document (From the help document).

And, you can actually import real map data into OWM that is in the "shapefile" format. There is a tutorial we did on that:
https://www.otherworldmapper.com/blog/t ... -data-shp/
EmmaC wrote: While playing around with the landmass tool, I wanted to correct the fractal value after having finish drawing the landmass. I couldn't. Even when selecting the entire landmass. I can neither change the fractal between points or for the entire landmass.
Is this possible? Or is it only possible while drawing the landmass?

I also tried to add point to my landmass after drawing. I noticed a coastline I didn't like and wanted to change it but moving the only point I have there was changing too much of the other part of the line... Is it possible to add points once the landmass is closed?
You want to use the "Shape edit" tool to do this. It will let you add and delete path points and control points, and also let you edit the fractal segments or the entire shape to generate new fractals. Section 5.5 covers this, but it's not as detailed as it should be so please ask us if you have any questions or trouble while working with it!
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:09 pm

EmmaC wrote: scale: when using the setup, I am stuck with this miles vers pixel, I changed it for km versus cm but, I have no visual references afterward.
If I use the Measure tool It gives me an idea of the distance but, without that I have no references to know... how high my mountain is when I put it on the map... any suggestion for that?
Now that we have the OSX/Mac Beta release out we're back in development mode, and that's one of the first things we'll be addressing. The ruler should have the possibility of showing "world units" and we also have other plans. Right now, OWM is lacking on this aspect like you noticed.
EmmaC wrote: *another question on the scale system and map set-up* i tried to change my scale in the set-up tools while my map was open and it erase my background, could it be possible to do modification on the set-up without having the whole map changed? Plus, when I am trying to change my scale from 1 km=1 cm to 10 km=1 cm,when using the measuring tool it does not register. Help?
Can you give us a little more detail on this? Sounds like a nasty bug with OWM so any details you can give us will be very hellful. Thank you!!
EmmaC wrote: Finally, I've read that we can import features: how can I do that?
The help document goes over, but we also did a more detailed tutorial:
https://www.otherworldmapper.com/blog/t ... -tutorial/
EmmaC wrote: Thanks again for your help and... sorry about that but I will certainly have other questions in the future.
Oh and I greatly appreciate that we can come here and ask questions. Thank a bunch!
[/quote]

Love the questions and feedback, so please keep them coming :). OWM is what it is today in great part because of the awersome feedback we've received.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

EmmaC

Post by EmmaC » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:30 pm

First, thanks a lot for your answer, I really appreciate this (one of the many reasons I choose OVM is this forum).
EmmaC wrote:
*another question on the scale system and map set-up* i tried to change my scale in the set-up tools while my map was open and it erase my background, could it be possible to do modification on the set-up without having the whole map changed? Plus, when I am trying to change my scale from 1 km=1 cm to 10 km=1 cm,when using the measuring tool it does not register. Help?
Can you give us a little more detail on this? Sounds like a nasty bug with OWM so any details you can give us will be very hellful. Thank you!!
So two problems with the set-up.
first: I created a map with the set-up, choose a background, and so on. Then, I decided I wanted to have 10km=1cm rather than 1km=1cm. so I went back to set-up, change the scale and... my background disappear, it is as if it has reset the map completely. I have the option to 'cancel map change' but it would go back the precedent scale (to be even more precise I'll have to go back to the computer with OVM and it won't be before a few days sadly).
second: deciding to be super careful with the setting up of my map I make sure to choose the 'right' scale. But when I choose for example 10 km= 1 cm, when I try the measuring tool on the map, it gives a number equal the same number of km like 10=10km.... I went back and try to change the scale again and it changed nothing (I really should do a screen cap but, as I said, I am not on the good computer).

Anyway, I hope it's a little bit better if not clear, I'll send ASAP screen caps. Thanks again!

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:15 am

EmmaC wrote:First, thanks a lot for your answer, I really appreciate this (one of the many reasons I choose OVM is this forum).
Always! Thank you for the feedback! :)
So two problems with the set-up.
first: I created a map with the set-up, choose a background, and so on. Then, I decided I wanted to have 10km=1cm rather than 1km=1cm. so I went back to set-up, change the scale and... my background disappear, it is as if it has reset the map completely. I have the option to 'cancel map change' but it would go back the precedent scale (to be even more precise I'll have to go back to the computer with OVM and it won't be before a few days sadly).
second: deciding to be super careful with the setting up of my map I make sure to choose the 'right' scale. But when I choose for example 10 km= 1 cm, when I try the measuring tool on the map, it gives a number equal the same number of km like 10=10km.... I went back and try to change the scale again and it changed nothing (I really should do a screen cap but, as I said, I am not on the good computer).

Anyway, I hope it's a little bit better if not clear, I'll send ASAP screen caps. Thanks again!
Yes, that should not be happening. I think it's a bug with the current release - we'll look into it/fix.

Thank you!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

EmmaC

Post by EmmaC » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:46 am

Thanks again!
I pretty much find everything I needed thanks to you. I also realised that I could import images as the landmasses background and this is cool!

Quick question: I tried to modify the size and form of object, here I was working with a fissure (I am working on a map inspire by Iceland...) and I wanted to change size but also I wanted to, somewhat 'squich it' but it seemed that the proportions were locked. I try to tick/untick the 'lock proportions' case but it changed nothing. I could just change sized but not change the form (I am lacking vocabulary to explain).

Any suggestion on what I should do?

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:21 am

EmmaC wrote:Thanks again!
I pretty much find everything I needed thanks to you. I also realised that I could import images as the landmasses background and this is cool!

Quick question: I tried to modify the size and form of object, here I was working with a fissure (I am working on a map inspire by Iceland...) and I wanted to change size but also I wanted to, somewhat 'squich it' but it seemed that the proportions were locked. I try to tick/untick the 'lock proportions' case but it changed nothing. I could just change sized but not change the form (I am lacking vocabulary to explain).

Any suggestion on what I should do?
Your point is clear :)

Proportions are locked for features. We did this intentionally early on, but there's been a few requests to unlock it. We just need to come up with a good way in the UI to show that you are changing the proportions and not just the scale.

We'll see if we can fit that with the next release.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

EmmaC

Post by EmmaC » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:02 am

Hi there,

once again let met tell you how much I appreciate the time you're taking to answer. :D
And, second, how much I enjoy playing... I mean mapping with OWM.
But, as I warned you earlier, I have yet another quesiton. ;)

I am working on the water and rivers. I was wondering if there was a way to anchor/begin/end rivers in the surfaces created by the water tool.
I have some lakes but, if I try to create the river which comes through, there is no merging (not like two branches of a river).

Any help? :oops:

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:10 pm

EmmaC wrote:Hi there,

once again let met tell you how much I appreciate the time you're taking to answer. :D
And, second, how much I enjoy playing... I mean mapping with OWM.
But, as I warned you earlier, I have yet another quesiton. ;)

I am working on the water and rivers. I was wondering if there was a way to anchor/begin/end rivers in the surfaces created by the water tool.
I have some lakes but, if I try to create the river which comes through, there is no merging (not like two branches of a river).

Any help? :oops:
Happy to answer questions! And really happy you're enjoying OWM!! :)

There is no way to anchor them yet, but OWM automatically integrates rivers and bodies of water (i.e. lakes) so that they appear visually merged. So, for instance, you can make the river go into inside the lake and OWM will make it look like the river is a branch of the lake.

The only issue with that is that if you move the lake the river won't move with it, but you can always select or group them together.

We're planning to have a way to turn rivers into branches of lakes, but it won't be until after 1.0

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software