Ask Stupid/Small Questions Here

General discussion on mapping.

Moderator: Kyete

Sturn

Ask Stupid/Small Questions Here

Post by Sturn » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:27 pm

I'll start off..

I've made a couple complex maps, but can't for the life of me figure out the Shape Tool. All I can get it to do thus far is draw a square/rectangle. Methinks I'm missing out on how to add sides or points.

EDIT - And I just answered my stupid question when I found the shapes in the tool bar. :oops:

I'll leave this thread here for my next (or someone else's?) stupid question.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Ask Stupid/Small Questions Here

Post by Kanchou » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:14 pm

Sturn wrote:I'll start off..

I've made a couple complex maps, but can't for the life of me figure out the Shape Tool. All I can get it to do thus far is draw a square/rectangle. Methinks I'm missing out on how to add sides or points.

EDIT - And I just answered my stupid question when I found the shapes in the tool bar. :oops:

I'll leave this thread here for my next (or someone else's?) stupid question.
No worries!! :). The tool options via the toolbar across the top has always been a problem, so it's not just you. We've tried to come up with alternatives but nothing worked better.

Though, we are going to make that bar taller and the icons bigger as part of the work we are doing for the OSX/Linux port.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Sturn

Post by Sturn » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:32 am

I don't believe the icons need to be made larger. I asked the question here before going to the PDF then noting the icons.

IronConrad

Post by IronConrad » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:10 am

New Question:

How do you make a map where the whole map starts with a land mass? I'm struggling a little with getting the edges off the map?

Thanks.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:05 pm

IronConrad wrote:New Question:

How do you make a map where the whole map starts with a land mass? I'm struggling a little with getting the edges off the map?

Thanks.
The canvas is itself a "landmass" so if you won't have any of the the edge showing you can just is a land texture for the canvas itself and just place everything there.

If you are doing a LOTR style map where the ocean is visible and the landmass just goes into the edge of the canvas in part, you can:

a) Set the landmass tool to "Snap to Edge". This will draw it pass the edge of the map.
b) Move the landmass so that part of it is outside the canvas, giving you the same effect as above.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

IronConrad

Post by IronConrad » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi Alejandro,

I was not having great luck with using the edges, especially on the left side. (However, I was able to show data points and move them.)

After a bit, making the canvas a land mass made sense. I was duplicating a map that had water on an edge and in the middle. I was able to manage but it seemed like a tactical choice when starting. The good news it was so simple I could do it both ways and experiment.

Have I seen the ability to draw the map larger and then set a window for viewing / exporting? (Easy enough to do with an export and a little cropping in another program.)

I like that Other World Mapper is more "Mappy" than "Drawy" ... I want to make maps.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:55 pm

IronConrad wrote:
I like that Other World Mapper is more "Mappy" than "Drawy" ... I want to make maps.
Making OWM cartography oriented was our goal, so I'm glad it's worked for you :)

On the export, you can't do that right now but we are going to add more export options soon: "window" export (like you described) and the ability to break a map into pages based on a "grid"

Thank you1
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software