After Advice

General discussion on mapping.

Moderator: Kyete

user_bsf

After Advice

Post by user_bsf » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:59 pm

I have used OWM to create (in my usual overkill fashion) the largest size map that OWM can make and crammed it will multiple layers and imaged etc.
It is a world map so I used the largest size then scrolled in as close as possible without blur affecting the image too much then built up.
The end result looks decent but it is also a massive file (for OWM to handle) currently sitting at 8068 KB.
What are suggestions for being able to reduce the size but keep operating on the map? I have only about a quarter completed at the moment and want to keep on working on the rest.
My idea is to save the image as a different format then import it and use it as the base layer and then rinse repeat as needed,
At the moment it takes about 30 minutes for the program to process actions that contain groups of layers so I am trying to get around this.
All tips appreciated.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: After Advice

Post by Kanchou » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:44 am

Hello!

One thing that helps is removing unnecessary points via the reduce points function. If you haven't, you can also colligate features.

Also, you can change the preview quality to the lowest setting since exporting will still be at full quality.

Those are just some ideas. If you are willing, you can email us the map and I can see what else would help. Also, I could work on the engine to optimize speed using your map as reference.

Are you running v0.9.3?

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

user_bsf

Post by user_bsf » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:01 am

Happy to send you the file and see what you can do - do I use the OWM email address?
I am running the v0.9.3

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:04 am

The info@threemindssoftware.com will work :)

Also let me know if the suggestions from the reply help.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

user_bsf

Post by user_bsf » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:12 am

I have it set to auto-reduce points (if that is what you mean) I have tried the colligate feature tool - due to my method of making the map (layer upon layer into the hundreds) it made to much of the base map disappear, I did try merging landmasses but it colored my artic regions the same as the temperate (it did reduce the file size though).

Email coming through in a minute :)

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:35 am

The auto reduce is not very "aggressive", but you can select a landmass (or other) and use the reduce points tool. The higher the number the more points get simplified. You can try different pixel values and see if the reduction helps with performance and doesn't simplify your items too much.

Got your map and will be looking at it tomorrow :)

Thank you!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

user_bsf

Post by user_bsf » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:28 pm

So I have a workaround sort of (for those wondering it was the following steps)
Save map setup as a template (max resolution and I did 110% size)
Saved and Exported the map as PNG (remember location)
Opened a new map using the template
On the new map Under canvas properties (bottom right by default)
Tick Background Image
Expand the options (little Plus)
Click on the link next to Image
Select the PNG image you saved from the original map
Tick Auto Fit

You should now have the original map as your canvas and when saved it will be a lot smaller size
(mine went from nearly 9000KB as a OWM to 5KB as the new canvas)

One con is you cannot adjust anything on the new canvas only overwrite it so make sure you are 100% happy with the map before importing,

Pros are you now have a clean slate to keep working on the map and can rinse repeat as needed.

So it doesn't fix the issue as such but it is a workable solution to use once happy with the template/canvas/map.

nDervish

Post by nDervish » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:28 am

user_bsf wrote: One con is you cannot adjust anything on the new canvas only overwrite it so make sure you are 100% happy with the map before importing,
Also, PNG conversion would rasterize the image, which will limit your ability to zoom in on the final map without getting blocky artifacts. Not an issue if you only want to work with the map at a single resolution, of course, but I tend to like being able to blow things up and cut out sections to make submaps, so it would become a problem in that scenario.

So I'd definitely keep a copy of the original version around, both in case of needing to make changes to the background layer and for the sake of being able to cleanly zoom in on it.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:49 am

I've working with your map over the last few days.

Another thing you can do is break it up into smaller maps. In your map there are several landmasses which are far enough from each other so that each could be their own map. So, you can do a "new from selection," or copy/paste into a new map, for each of the landmasses and save them as different files. OWM will run a lot smoother - even if you open multiple of them at once.

Long term we're looking at changes so that large maps (this one is 20k by 20k pixels) will not slow down OWM so much.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:51 am

nDervish wrote: So I'd definitely keep a copy of the original version around, both in case of needing to make changes to the background layer and for the sake of being able to cleanly zoom in on it.
Definitely this.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software