Using Region tool for water regions?

General discussion on mapping.

Moderator: Kyete

jamesmuia

Using Region tool for water regions?

Post by jamesmuia » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi everyone,

On my map I want to indicate frozen water/ice, and designate certain parts of the ocean as a region with a bright blue ice color. However when I use the region tool it seems to apply to land only. Is there any way to color a region of ocean the same way we would land?

Thanks!
James

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Using Region tool for water regions?

Post by Kanchou » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:34 pm

James,

I think the best approach is to use the landmass tool still and color it to appear as frozen ocean (it could be partially transparent if necessary). It would be equivalent to some of the ice formations in the the north pole.

However, you should be able to use the region tool as well. Is it not letting you draw it at all? Or does it not show up?

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

jamesmuia

Post by jamesmuia » Tue May 16, 2017 5:19 pm

I can use the region tool to select the coastline of my landmass, so I just keep clicking following the coastline around. Then I try to connect the region by drawing the last line across the ocean to the point of origin, and it closes it/doesn't do anything.

I can draw a region in the middle of the ocean no problem, but I can't use the region tool to follow the coastline and then connect it from one landmass to another across the ocean.

If you can imagine the landmass as a U shape (with the ocean in the middle of the U), I'm trying to make everything within the U an icy colored region.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:15 pm

jamesmuia wrote:I can use the region tool to select the coastline of my landmass, so I just keep clicking following the coastline around. Then I try to connect the region by drawing the last line across the ocean to the point of origin, and it closes it/doesn't do anything.

I can draw a region in the middle of the ocean no problem, but I can't use the region tool to follow the coastline and then connect it from one landmass to another across the ocean.

If you can imagine the landmass as a U shape (with the ocean in the middle of the U), I'm trying to make everything within the U an icy colored region.
Looking back through all feedback, I missed this post for some reason :(.

You have to start the region with the first click outside the landmass, otherwise it thinks the landmass is the parent to the region and it gets created "outside" the edge of the landmass.

Were you able to make this work? Sorry again it took me so long to reply!!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software