Moving objects "between layers" not enabled yet?

General discussion on mapping.

Moderator: Kyete

twocatsyelling

Moving objects "between layers" not enabled yet?

Post by twocatsyelling » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:09 pm

Hello,

Simple/quick question here.

I'm working on an "overview/world" map for a game project, and have run into a bit of an issue.

The map layout is similar to that of a Zelda type game, where you have areas connecting, etc, and then there's cartographical elements around and between them (borders, mountains, etc). I've gotten the areas laid out, and want to know create the continent layout to place behind them, but I'm noticing I'm unable to do that. I create an object, and the option to move down/up a layer, etc are grayed out and unavailable.

Are there some specific conditions that works under, or is it not implemented yet?

Thanks!

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Moving objects "between layers" not enabled yet?

Post by Kanchou » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:50 pm

user_mv wrote:Hello,

Simple/quick question here.

I'm working on an "overview/world" map for a game project, and have run into a bit of an issue.

The map layout is similar to that of a Zelda type game, where you have areas connecting, etc, and then there's cartographical elements around and between them (borders, mountains, etc). I've gotten the areas laid out, and want to know create the continent layout to place behind them, but I'm noticing I'm unable to do that. I create an object, and the option to move down/up a layer, etc are grayed out and unavailable.

Are there some specific conditions that works under, or is it not implemented yet?

Thanks!
Hello!

I may need you to email me a couple of pics or the map so I can picture better what you are doing. Currently, OWM is setup so that landmasses, caves, rooms and corridors are "parents" meaning they can contain other items. So, if you look at the layers window you'll see that any mountains, rivers, lakes, etc you place on a landmass falls inside of it. The layer up/down is is within the same item type inside the same parent. For instance, if you have two mountains in the same landmass and you want to swap which one is on front.

That should allow you to do pretty much any map - but you may have to do it in a particular way/order.

Please Post some pics here or email me directly acanosa@threemindssoftware.com . I want to make sure we didn't miss covering ways of making a map/map styles.

Thank you!!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

twocatsyelling

Post by twocatsyelling » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:23 pm

Hey there.

Thank you for the response! After I posted that, I figured out a way to get the effect I'm after, without having to recreate the whole thing lol.

Here's a visual explanation of it... Start from the bottom pic and work your way up. It posted them in reverse order for some reason.
Attachments
continent outline moved behind areas.
continent outline moved behind areas.
Pic3.png (67.14 KiB) Viewed 8045 times
'continent' shape drawn out but overlaying areas - not ideal.
'continent' shape drawn out but overlaying areas - not ideal.
Pic2.png (42.6 KiB) Viewed 8045 times
Map areas laid out.
Map areas laid out.
Pic1.png (57 KiB) Viewed 8045 times

twocatsyelling

Post by twocatsyelling » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:24 pm

The beauty of this layout is that I can now take each individual area outline, copy and paste it into its own document, scaled up and showing full detail. That's what I'm intending to do anyway :p

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:04 am

user_mv wrote:The beauty of this layout is that I can now take each individual area outline, copy and paste it into its own document, scaled up and showing full detail. That's what I'm intending to do anyway :p
Very happy you were able to make it work! :D. Don't hesitate to post, most of the time we reply within 24 hours or less.

Note: if you select items in OWM and go to "File" ->"New from selection" you can create a new map/document from the selection and choose a scale to apply to all items (of course, you can also do what you were planning and copy/paste from document to document).
And, remember you can create links between maps - so you could add a clickable link between the areas and the detailed maps.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software