New Battle Map Artwork!

Talk about map artwork, share links to artwork (including symbols you made). Please DO NOT link to downloads or sites that are breaking someone's copyrights.

Moderator: Kyete

User avatar
Kanchou
Site Admin
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:23 pm

New Battle Map Artwork!

Postby Kanchou » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:33 pm

Hello!

If any of you is interested, we added new art work packs to our website store.

This is to fulfill our pledge to have more classic battle map skins and fantasy symbols. Modern, noir and cyber are in the works.

What do you think about them? Would you like other packs from us? As always, we'd love to hear your feedback :).

https://www.otherworldmapper.com/shop.html

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

User avatar
Big Mac
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:08 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: New Battle Map Artwork!

Postby Big Mac » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:12 am

I'm a bit confused.

I'm not seeing "Battle Map Artwork" on that page. I just see Medieval Locations, three Morose Village options and two Skins.

Has this been puilled or is it in an second page?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums

User avatar
Kanchou
Site Admin
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Re: New Battle Map Artwork!

Postby Kanchou » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:53 pm

Big Mac wrote:I'm a bit confused.

I'm not seeing "Battle Map Artwork" on that page. I just see Medieval Locations, three Morose Village options and two Skins.

Has this been puilled or is it in an second page?


Those are the battle map artwork :). New overhead/dungeon items, terrain, etc.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

User avatar
Big Mac
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:08 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: New Battle Map Artwork!

Postby Big Mac » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:38 pm

Kanchou wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'm a bit confused.

I'm not seeing "Battle Map Artwork" on that page. I just see Medieval Locations, three Morose Village options and two Skins.

Has this been puilled or is it in an second page?


Those are the battle map artwork :). New overhead/dungeon items, terrain, etc.

- Alejandro


Ah! Gotcha!

So a battle map is a map that I might print out to use with minis or use on something like Roll 20. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
(A Spelljammer fan hoping to user Other World Mapper to make lots of maps of planets.)
You can see more of me over at The Piazza campaign settings forums

User avatar
Kanchou
Site Admin
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Re: New Battle Map Artwork!

Postby Kanchou » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:27 am

Big Mac wrote:Ah! Gotcha!

So a battle map is a map that I might print out to use with minis or use on something like Roll 20. :)


Yep! Not sure what the best way of describing is, but yes it's overhead perspective symbols and at a size/resolution optimized for minis.

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

IronConrad
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:13 pm

Re: New Battle Map Artwork!

Postby IronConrad » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:55 pm

I purchased three of the packs and installed them. They look great.

The installer could not have been easier.

Did I read the notes correctly that the add-ons are SVG files so, in theory, anyone's arts packs could be adapted to OWM? (I'm not sure what else would be needed to add-on ... but ... more is always better ... am I right?)

User avatar
Kanchou
Site Admin
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Re: New Battle Map Artwork!

Postby Kanchou » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:34 pm

IronConrad wrote:I purchased three of the packs and installed them. They look great.

The installer could not have been easier.

Did I read the notes correctly that the add-ons are SVG files so, in theory, anyone's arts packs could be adapted to OWM? (I'm not sure what else would be needed to add-on ... but ... more is always better ... am I right?)


Hello!

Glad you liked the art packs! Let us know if you have any requests for future artwork.

And yes, Other World Mapper is open to outside artwork, you are not limited to what we provide :). Most of the files are pngs (some are svg) and are simply stored in the installation path so you can look at the individual files and use them to create other files if you want (though don't edit the original ones as they will get re-written during installation of a new version).

If you want to bring outside artwork into OWM you can use the Art Manager or you can do it manually. We wrote a tutorial on it.
https://www.otherworldmapper.com/blog/t ... -tutorial/

Let us know if you have any questions!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

IronConrad
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:13 pm

Re: New Battle Map Artwork!

Postby IronConrad » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:56 pm

I definitely like "Mappy" things. By that I mean the things that are typically part of a historical map.

Banners, borders, compass rose's, map iconography, seals, banners, scale, notes and such make the maps look more like maps. There is a pretty good selection in OWM. Seems like that every map maker should have lots of choices to make their map more mappy.

Numbers in the border art would allow reference by cross reference ... A6 for example. (Is that more modern?)

There always seems to a shortage of Arthurian art but I think Medieval covers it. Early medieval art is less realistic and more blocky. Sometimes too pretty is out of place.

I'm not a big consumer of battle map style art. I can see the benefit but I like maps and underworlds.

User avatar
Kanchou
Site Admin
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Re: New Battle Map Artwork!

Postby Kanchou » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:10 am

Thank you for the feedback!

We were considering another set using historical medieval maps as reference (like the Carta Marina pack). So we may move that up a notch in our priority :).

Could you clarify what you meant with:
"Numbers in the border art would allow reference by cross reference ... A6 for example. (Is that more modern?)"

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

nDervish
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:18 am

Re: New Battle Map Artwork!

Postby nDervish » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:37 am

Kanchou wrote:Could you clarify what you meant with:
"Numbers in the border art would allow reference by cross reference ... A6 for example. (Is that more modern?)"


As I read it, he's talking about something like Image