Feature Selection

Request changes or additions in functionality.

Moderator: Kyete

MichaelvanK

Feature Selection

Post by MichaelvanK » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:44 pm

Hi Team,

Would it be possible to have a look at how features can be selected when you want to edit them?

At the moment, selecting something like the field icon or bridge icon is super tricky, because you can only select on a line, not the area of the object.

It would be great if you could click on anywhere in the area of the item and be able to select it. I understand that this probably has something to do with the transparency element of PNGs, but I hope you can make things easier.

Also, I can't find a way to select something that falls behind the select area of an item in a higher layer.

An example of this might be that I have used a town icon and written a label for it, placed close by so you can see what the label refers to. However, since the text item seems to have a really wide selection area, even when the item below's selection area is highlighted, I can't click on it.

Would it be possible to have a Shift + Click or some combination to select the lower layer/s?

At the moment, the only way I can find to select the town icon from below the label area is to hide the label, make any edits to the icon and then make the label visible again.

Perhaps there's already a way to do this, but I can't find it.

Cheers!
I'm a writer who builds worlds with words, but now I can build pictures too!

Kyete
Site Moderator

Re: Feature Selection

Post by Kyete » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:39 am

We will look into options for lower layer item selection for future versions.

At the moment, you can select an item by clicking on it in the layers window and then move it with the arrow keys. Also, once an item is selected, clicking and dragging on the rotation handle or resize boxes should take precedence over selecting the item above it in the drawing order.

There are also Auto Labels. They are more limited, since they are in a fixed position on or under an item, but they would display the item's name without interfering with item selection. The option is in the Map menu if you want to try it out.

-Katie