Copy and Paste Heaven!

Archive of feature requests that were added to OWM

Moderator: Kyete

MichaelvanK

Copy and Paste Heaven!

Post by MichaelvanK » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:34 pm

Hi Team,

Here's a couple I'm sure you can achieve.

When I copy a feature and want to paste it somewhere, if I don't select a landmass, the paste action places the feature at the top left of the canvas, which is understandable since I was not specific as to where I wanted it.

However, when I do select a landmass and click paste, the feature is placed in the centre of the landmass (easy to find) but the landmass becomes de-selected. This means that if I want to paste a whole bunch of the same item into a landmass I have to select the landmass between each paste action.

Please could you make it so that the landmass stays selected until I select something else, so I can paste without the re-selection requirement?

The other paste action that would be really cool is a "Paste at Cursor" function. This may be achieved by using a right mouse "Paste here" option or a key combination such as Alt + Ctrl + V (or any available with the V key).

I hope that you are keeping well and can do something about these minor tweaks that would make my day!

Cheers.
I'm a writer who builds worlds with words, but now I can build pictures too!

nDervish

Re: Copy and Paste Heaven!

Post by nDervish » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:50 am

MichaelvanK wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:34 pm
The other paste action that would be really cool is a "Paste at Cursor" function. This may be achieved by using a right mouse "Paste here" option or a key combination such as Alt + Ctrl + V (or any available with the V key).
Personally, based on my own expectations for how "paste" works, I would even go so far as to suggest that "paste at cursor" should be the default, at least in cases where that would be a valid pasting location (not, e.g., outside of the current layer or selected region). If the cursor location isn't valid for pasting, then I guess I'd make pasting itself invalid, to avoid having weird behaviors of "sometimes it pastes at the cursor, sometimes it pastes somewhere else".

I assume the current behavior is meant to avoid having to worry about invalid paste locations, but I regularly find myself thoroughly confused (and sometimes paste multiple copies of the same thing as I repeatedly hit ctrl-V, wondering why it doesn't appear to be doing anything) when image editing programs decide to always paste to a fixed location, and that location isn't visible on my screen at the time of pasting.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Copy and Paste Heaven!

Post by Kanchou » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:09 pm

This is now implemented with the V1.0.4 release, so moving to resolved.

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software