Region Generator randomly select for its fill?

Request changes or additions in functionality.

Moderator: Kyete

mikevil

Region Generator randomly select for its fill?

Post by mikevil » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:00 pm

When creating forests or mountain regions, would it be possible to have it choose from randomly from the symbols in a list to yield a more natural looking region? Maybe I am doing it wrong, but they look very artificial to have the mountains and trees laid out in a pattern.

Kanchou
Site Admin

Re: Region Generator randomly select for its fill?

Post by Kanchou » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:56 am

mikevil wrote:When creating forests or mountain regions, would it be possible to have it choose from randomly from the symbols in a list to yield a more natural looking region? Maybe I am doing it wrong, but they look very artificial to have the mountains and trees laid out in a pattern.
When you say "forests or mountain regions" do you mean using the Feature tool in "Fill Path" mode? If so, we are planning to add the ability to have random symbols and placement for it :) (much like when using it in single feature mode and with the "scatter" setting).

Thank you!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software

mikevil

Post by mikevil » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:51 am

Hi Alejandro,
I like the look of placing random mountains or other features, but I found the number of features for a big mountain range or forest just became huge. So I made a 500x500 icon of random mountain shapes with no background and loaded it into features. From there, I used the region tool to fill with this feature that then gave a less regular look. I can see how the fill path will do essentially the same thing.
So, if this is in the plans to make a random selection from a feature list, GREAT!
Thank you! Keep up the good work!
Mike

Kanchou
Site Admin

Post by Kanchou » Wed May 27, 2020 12:13 pm

mikevil wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:51 am
Hi Alejandro,
I like the look of placing random mountains or other features, but I found the number of features for a big mountain range or forest just became huge. So I made a 500x500 icon of random mountain shapes with no background and loaded it into features. From there, I used the region tool to fill with this feature that then gave a less regular look. I can see how the fill path will do essentially the same thing.
So, if this is in the plans to make a random selection from a feature list, GREAT!
Thank you! Keep up the good work!
Mike
V1.0.2 adds this, so I think it covers what you had requested :). Let us know what you think!

- Alejandro
Alejandro S. Canosa
Three Minds Software